What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help posting photos to Facebook

Bolt Action

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a new iPad user, and have recently encountered a problem posting non-camera stored images. When trying to post images to Facebook, the only option I get is to post from Camera Roll. I have no photos stored on the camera. I need to be able to turn off the camera roll so that I can post other images.

What do I need to change to stop the camera roll from blocking my images?

Thanks for helping a newbie.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Camera Roll is an album within the Photos app. When you save photos on your iPad, they will be found there afterwards. The name could be irritating. It doesn't mean that only images from a/the camera are there, but also screenshots, photos saved from emails or websites, apps ...

So if you only get the option to select photos from Camera Roll, supposedly there are no other albums in your Photos app. On an iPad, photos that you want to post somewhere can only be uploaded from the Photos app, afaik. You can't load them from another app.

Where did you save the photos that you want to post to Facebook? If they're not in Photos, maybe we can help you get them there so you're able to post them.

OP
B

Bolt Action

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They are photos that are contained in a Facebook album that I want to repost. I can find the photos OK, but cannot repost them.

Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't help you in this case - sorry!

But to make it easier for other members to assist: do you use the app, or are you on the website? Which iPad version do you own (1, 2, 3, 4, Air, mini, mini with retina?) and is it up to date? The latest software is 7.1.2. You'll find yours in Settings (app) - General - About - Version.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As long as the photos are in your own FaceBook account, you can share them again. I say again, because they are normally shared when you add them the first time.

• Go to your own profile by selecting your name in the left sidebar.
  • Select the Photos tab. It should be just under the header picture and your avatar.
  • Navigate to the photo, until you are seeing it full screen.
  • At the bottom left, select the three dots (. . .) and then Share.
  • Change the TO: field to reflect who you want to see the photo
  • Add an optional comment
  • And tap Post.

Alternately you could tap the comment icon (instead of the dots) and add a comment to the photo. This will 'usually' pop the original share/post near the top of your friend's timelines. Though, with FaceBooks weirdness it might not.

If the pictures are in someone else's FaceBook account, then what you can do with them will depend on what permissions that person has granted. You may only be able to comment on them, which will show up in their timeline, but may or many not show up in yours or your other friends; again, depending on permissions.

You may be able to copy the picture to your camera roll and then post it. Again, depending on permissions. Personally I would never do this without getting the consent of the other person(s) involved. At the very least you are risking your friendship.

Everting I described is using the FaceBook app. It is 'probably' still possible to do this in Safari, but the details will differ.

Good luck.

OP
B

Bolt Action

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't help you in this case - sorry!

But to make it easier for other members to assist: do you use the app, or are you on the website? Which iPad version do you own (1, 2, 3, 4, Air, mini, mini with retina?) and is it up to date? The latest software is 7.1.2. You'll find yours in Settings (app) - General - About - Version.

Gen 4, with retina, 7.1.2 software version. It has AirDrop. Don't know if that means the same as iPad Air or not.
I've used both the app, or connect through Safari and Opera.
Guess I'll have to use my Android tablet, laptop or desktop to accomplish the task at hand.

Maybe there is a way to shutdown the camera? If so, I've not found it.

Thanks for helping.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The camera can be shut off, but it won't get rid of the camera roll. Nor do you need to. The camera roll is local storage on the iPad. You're FaceBook albums are stored online. Deleting or obscuring one will not make the other appear.

OP
B

Bolt Action

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The camera can be shut off, but it won't get rid of the camera roll. Nor do you need to. The camera roll is local storage on the iPad. You're FaceBook albums are stored online. Deleting or obscuring one will not make the other appear.
Then how can one repost an online stored image if the only option that shows is the Camera Roll? IMO, Apple missed the boat on this. One should be able to shut off that camera roll thing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Then how can one repost an online stored image if the only option that shows is the Camera Roll? IMO, Apple missed the boat on this. One should be able to shut off that camera roll thing.

You must have missed it. Two or three posts back I gave instruction on how to repost photos that are stored in your FaceBook album. If it's not clear, ask, and I'll see what I can do about adding some screenshots.

Saying you can turn off the camera roll is the same as saying you want to turn off a folder on your computer. It is just a location where pictures are stored. Turning on/off the option in an app to access the camera roll is up to the developer; in this case FaceBook.

It would not make sense for Apple to add an on/off switch that would break every app on your iPad that needs access to the camera roll and photos. That's a lot more apps than you might think.

OP
B

Bolt Action

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You must have missed it. Two or three posts back I gave instruction on how to repost photos that are stored in your FaceBook album. If it's not clear, ask, and I'll see what I can do about adding some screenshots.

Saying you can turn off the camera roll is the same as saying you want to turn off a folder on your computer. It is just a location where pictures are stored. Turning on/off the option in an app to access the camera roll is up to the developer; in this case FaceBook.

It would not make sense for Apple to add an on/off switch that would break every app on your iPad that needs access to the camera roll and photos. That's a lot more apps than you might think.
I guess I did miss it. I'll go look for it.
Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts