What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help please...changing my iPad

mucky1957

iPF Noob
Reaction score
His guys,

I currently have the iPad 1. It is the 32gb wifi model and I think I need to change up. I have been looking at the iPad3 with retina display and that seems to be the best that I can afford at the moment.....but...there is always a but...

I am no technophobe but I hate change..scares the hell out of me. Can someone explain how I can transfer all the data on my iPad IF I decide to get a newer model. Currently on my iPad I have some films and tv shows, a whole load of game apps, other apps, ePub books, my outlook email, safari for the internet etc etc.

It is all stored on my iTunes folder on my home pc. Do I just plug the new one in and transfer everything across ?

Also, as I am looking to buy a used model that may or may not come with the cables....are the ipad1 pc and charger cables compatable with the ipad3.

Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This will show you what to do: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2109
You'll have to go through the "iTunes" description.

Both iPad 1 and 3 have a 30 pin connector, so charging with the cables you already have shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome I understand your issue however I Would go purchase an iPad 4 regardless of cable issue the performance is twice that of the iPad 3. Be aware off buying on line second hand as the new security system in place could make your new purchase a brick. If yu. We'd further info just ask

iPad 4 has replaced the iPad 2 and is a current model.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look on Apples web site at Reconditioned iPads, You can be sure these will be in tip top condition and will come with a warranty.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
His guys, I currently have the iPad 1. It is the 32gb wifi model and I think I need to change up.

I have been looking at the iPad3 with retina display and that seems to be the best that I can afford at the moment.....but...there is always a but... I am no technophobe but I hate change..scares the hell out of me. Can someone explain how I can transfer all the data on my iPad IF I decide to get a newer model. Currently on my iPad I have some films and tv shows, a whole load of game apps, other apps, ePub books, my outlook email, safari for the internet etc etc.

It is all stored on my iTunes folder on my home pc.

Do I just plug the new one in and transfer everything across ? Also, as I am looking to buy a used model that may or may not come with the cables....are the ipad1 pc and charger cables compatable with the ipad3. Thanks.

Have a look at this thread which will explain all you need to do if you do go ahead and buy a second hand iPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-gene...ut-taking-plunge-need-advice.html#post1055149

Good luck!

OP
M

mucky1957

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks everyone.

I have looked at the apple refurbished models and tbh they are outside my price bracket. I am pleased that the cable connectors are the same because many ebay sales come without. I bought my ipad 1 off ebay about 3 yrs ago and it has served me really well. The problem is that some of the apps are not working anymore and I am starting to have problems with some TV stations which no longer allow the IOS 5.1.1 to work and of course the ipad 1 can't update past this.

I also understand that Apple will be withdrawing help for the ipad1 in 2016...so it seems like a plan to upgrade now...that's why I am looking at an ipad3.

The ipad 4 and ipad air are also too expensive for what I need.

thanks again.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I may add this caution:

Apple has instituted a security feature in its latest iOS (7.1.1). If you are buying a used iPad (Craigslist, eBay, etc) and if the device is running iOS 7.x, ensure the previous owner has turned OFF the security feature ("Find My iPad").

If the iPad has not been properly cleared, you will literally be buying a useless hunk of glass and metal. Please see this article on buying used iDevices: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/buying-or-selling-a-used-iphone-running-ios-7-read-this-first/

Just want you to be careful/aware of any potential pitfalls in buying as used product as Apple's new iOS 7 security measures are VERY effective.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts