What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Redmond

sfwilliam62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok do not boo, but I am a 10 year FTE of the big M, but I left 4 years ago. I was 9 years at DEC as well, so I have roots back to the CPM days. I am a self proclaimed gadget geek. I am currently using an iPhone3GS and just got my 64GB iPad.

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! What are your first thoughts of the iPad?

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok do not boo, but I am a 10 year FTE of the big M, but I left 4 years ago. I was 9 years at DEC as well, so I have roots back to the CPM days. I am a self proclaimed gadget geek. I am currently using an iPhone3GS and just got my 64GB iPad.
Welcome, I live near big M also and have felt their influences over the years. I am still an avid pc user for work, but love my iPad.

OP
S

sfwilliam62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been waiting since the origional Win CE, and Tablets for an instant on, long battery, connected device for someone who wants to consume information, not create large docs or presentations.

The iPad has delivered in all those areas. I am really excited for multi-tasking as opening and closing apps to go to mail, browser games is a bit tiresome. I also can not wait for a handwriting app, even something like the old Palm Graffiti.

I love my iPad

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been waiting since the origional Win CE, and Tablets for an instant on, long battery, connected device for someone who wants to consume information, not create large docs or presentations.

The iPad has delivered in all those areas. I am really excited for multi-tasking as opening and closing apps to go to mail, browser games is a bit tiresome. I also can not wait for a handwriting app, even something like the old Palm Graffiti.

I love my iPad
I actually did a MS study to do with handwriting apps, and it was frustrating as hell. I finally told the observer that MS is chasing a ghost, handwriting as a computer input method is dead, as even people in my generation are so well accustomed to typing it is my preferred method of input, not to mention the younger generations, they are virtually typing before they are learning to write these days.

I had older palm's and different devices in the past that you needed to learn the "symbols" and these actually worked better than the natural recognition writing programs today, simply for the fact that the newer ones try to complete your writing, and editing is a nightmare.

If you prefer this method, no problems, but just speaking for myself, I think typing is vastly faster and becoming much more intuitive than writing on a computer device.

OP
S

sfwilliam62

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can understand that but I have to say OneNote with a pen is heaven and it converts quite well. The search function in OneNote is worth the cost of the application. No conversion of handwriting needed. I do not see yet that typing on the iPad will be fast enough for meetings. And you can not add meeting drawings, mind maps etc.

Dragonrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a medical geek, who actually owned Osborne's, A IIEs, Sinclairs, and Mac #128. I've dumped Win O/S twice, pulled back the first time by beancounter requirements, and the fact that the Mac wouldn't run the hospital's patient information software... Now I have my own world, and can dictate what's used or not...

My team and I travel a lot, and tools that simplify life and lighten the suitcase weight are huge with us. While we got to play with an iPad, and prove to ourselves that it really will do everything we need to do on the road, we ordered 64 G's (waiting....waiting.... thinking Microsoft..... waiting). This device will replace both the iPhone and MacAir for us...

Umdterps2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.vikrampant.com
Welcome ... I am an avid windows user and enjoy the .net platform for web apps ... Asp.net mvc is very neat. Looking forward to msft redoing the mobile plstform from their point of view... The iPad is my second foray into the apple world and as mentioned above I love the instant on ability to just consume.

Most reactions

Latest posts