What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headphones not working

mvpkiwi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Got the new iPad a week ago.
I can't get the iPad to recognize my headphones, tried two pairs and they work on other devices. The sound just keeps playing out of the speakers, when it should automatically go through headphones.
Sometimes I can twist the cable and get a sound, but rarely.

Anyone else experiencing it on the new iPad, and does it sound like some hardware issue, something wrong with the audio input?

Thanks.
William

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not to point out the obvious, but - have you checked to make sure the headphones are fully seated? I've noticed that i have to apply a lot of pressure to fit my headphones into the jack.

Just a thought...

Marilyn

OP
M

mvpkiwi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Not to point out the obvious, but - have you checked to make sure the headphones are fully seated? I've noticed that i have to apply a lot of pressure to fit my headphones into the jack.

Just a thought...

Marilyn

Thanks for your reply. Yes it is fully seated. Do you have iPad 2 or 3?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have the iPad 3 and I use the stock headphones (the ones with the volume controller on them). It works fine for me - so I can be of no help in troubleshooting this for you.

It'd be an entirely different thing if the sound didn't come out of the main speaker when the phones were plugged in (cause then it might be the volume control of the phones). But, with the sound not cutting out on the iPad, I think it's a headphone jack problem.

All I can suggest now is a trip to the Apple store. Sorry.

Marilyn

smitty70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same problem ipad3 verizon, a few days old ,the speaker stays on and two sets of headphones same result? Plug them in to i phone 4 works fine ?

Thanks
Jeff

Hi,

Got the new iPad a week ago.
I can't get the iPad to recognize my headphones, tried two pairs and they work on other devices. The sound just keeps playing out of the speakers, when it should automatically go through headphones.
Sometimes I can twist the cable and get a sound, but rarely.

Anyone else experiencing it on the new iPad, and does it sound like some hardware issue, something wrong with the audio input?

Thanks.
William

DanBarraclough04

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know this sound silly but check to make sure there's no dust or fluff in the headphone jack as this can sometimes cause problems, if not then as said above: take it to Apple.

Dan

ewern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I initially had same issue with my iPad2 I just bought. I got a "GigaWare" brand of lapel mic with a plug for headphones- under $10. Initially the sound came out of the speakers when I was testing out Skype. After reseating, it works fine now.

Most reactions