What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDMI out with video's shot using iPad air -

robert221usa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all -

I have been taking photos and video's using the back camera of the iPad air then displaying them via HDMI out on our TV - I have a cable that is hooked into the TV and nothing changes on the TV or the cable.

However - some video's will display full screen and some fill top and bottom but are squeezed side to side - below are examples. Nothing changes on the TV or video out side the only thing that changes are the photo or video displayed - some are full screen and some are squished side to side - does anyone have any thoughts on how to correct this?

Also - all videos are shot in landscape - so the cable to the TV and the TV as well as how the iPad was held during filming is not the solution - but something to do with the iPad itself or a mode on the camera or?

20140107_192145.jpg20140107_192343.jpg

Last edited:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The ones that are narrow with black either side must have been recorded with the iPad oriented in portrait mode (ie. holding the iPad with the home button at the bottom or top). There is no explantation other than if your using a third party camera app that has some hinky settings.

OP
R

robert221usa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand the comment but I promise you all of the videos were taken in portrait not landscape...

also I can verify this by playing them on the ipad...I am watching the one in the photo above and it plays perfect on the ipad

this is very confusing

OP
R

robert221usa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ha ha yes landscape. all of them shot with the built in camera app using the back camera and displayed via the camera roll app. I just go into camera roll and select play

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When playing back, are your mirroring to the TV or using AirPlay? Both have different behavior when playing back to an external TV.

OP
R

robert221usa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using the HDMI out adapter. Not sure if that is "mirroring" or not but not using Air Play just the HDMI out adapter and going into the camera roll and pressing play.

Regardless - the set up stays the same for all videos but some play full screen and some play squeezed even though they are shot and displayed all using the same method.

Most reactions

Latest posts