What's new
Apple iPad Forum šŸŽ

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having trouble scanning document with Notes app/Ipad Pro iOS11

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Itā€™s unlikely to be Appleā€™s policy. If it was, they would not show the option in the first place. Of coures, the bug could be that the they ā€˜areā€™ showing the opton. o_O

Fourtunately the default account doesnā€™t affect much. It only applies when you add a note using Siri, or some other method that does not let you pick the noteā€™s destination. Otherwise youā€™ll be able to save the note anywhere you like. Since Notesā€™ folder selection is sticky (stays the same until you change it) this shouldnā€™t be a problem.

Iā€™ve mentioned ths before, but make sure you understand that notes you store locally are not retrivable online. If the iPad dies, the only way to get the notes back will be to restore the iPadā€™s backup to another iPad running iOS 11 or later.

So, make sure you are doing your backups.

That, or spring for some extra iCloud storage (about $1 a month) and use iCloud Drive.

Good luck.

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Itā€™s unlikely to be Appleā€™s policy. If it was, they would not show the option in the first place. Of coures, the bug could be that the they ā€˜areā€™ showing the opton. o_O
Then it's definitely a bug, as I mentioned earlier, I am able to select the option, but the default account still shows one of the cloud services but not "On my Ipad"

Iā€™ve mentioned this before, but make sure you understand that notes you store locally are not retrivable online. If the iPad dies, the only way to get the notes back will be to restore the iPadā€™s backup to another iPad running iOS 11 or later.
No matter how convenient might be, I don't like uploading personal stuff to the cloud. I regularly backup my files to my local NAS so no problem with that.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Two update/corrections to my previous posts.

One: For some reason Notes decided to go ahead and switch my default acount to ā€˜On my iPadā€™ overnight. So, if you left that as you last selection, check your settings. Donā€™t switch it back to Gmail as an experiment, as it seems to get stuck on the old account again; at least it did for me. I switched it back to iCloud (for reasons Iā€™ll cover shortly). Once I did it ā€˜againā€™ refused to switch to the ā€˜On my iPadā€™ account.

Two: I was wrong about the default account only affecting Siri. Any time you add a note using the Share Sheet, you are resticted to creating or adding to notes in the default account. I had thought this change when iOS 11 gave you the abilty select folders; but apparently you can only select folders that are in the default account.

As for the online storage convinience vs security; Iā€™ll just add a few comments and let it drop. In the end we all do what we are most comfortable with.

Yes, local storage can more secure than cloud storage; but only if you properly set up the security for your server and keep it up to date. If you donā€™t do those things, the only thing protecting you is obscurity and/or lack of interest from hackers. Youā€™re probably too small a target to gain individual attention, but your are still at risk of sweaping/random attacks; the kind that use bots to hunt servers with unplugged security holes. Ransome ware is like that, hitting individuals and small companies that are often willing to pay rather than go to the greater expence of losing their data, or trying to recover it by other means.

Almost all the cloud storage solutions encrypt your storage. In Appleā€™s case theyā€™ve publicly doubled down on privacy and encryption for their users. Besides losing face if they break their very public stance, they have no economic reasons to weaken your security. iCloud storage is probably one of the more secure methods of keeping data.

As a side note, since your Notes app was/is using a Gmail account; all you notes are already in the cloud. Gmail note syncing works using a folder/lable (name Notes) in your Gmail account. Drill down into your Gmail folders and you should find it. Donā€™t edit notes there, youā€™ll break the syncing feature.

This is how the iCloud account used to work as well, but theyā€™ve changed that so that your iCloud synced notes are no longer in your email (if you had one). Instead Notes does itā€™s own indepenent thing for syncing. This is aso why you can do more with local and iCloud synced notes. You are no longer limited by the flile fomats supported in an email client.

Keep in mind that cloud vs local storage is not an either or thing. Each kind of data should be evaluated for risk, cost, and convinience to find the best solution. A combination is often the best solution.

Most reactions

Latest posts