What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hand function stopped working

Burgite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the past my "Handoff" function worked well. If I was searching for a hotel and found one I only had to tap on the phone number and it would dial using either Skype or MagicJack. It worked using Wi-Fi or my data plan. It was an absolutely valuable function especially when traveling.

Now, it says that it's going to exit the program (like Safari) and start a new program however nothing happens.

I must have inadvertently changed some setting.

I'm using an iPad 4, with iOS 8.1.3

Skype works, MagicJack works, but I must dial the number manually.

I have turned "Handoff" off and on then rebooted, turned FaceTime off and on and rebooted (and every combination of those two programs and actions).

To say the least, I am frustrated because it must be something obvious, to everyone else!

Any ideas as to how to how I can get it to dial automatically again?

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) By 'reboot', do you mean you simply used the 'ON-OFF' button or did you 'Reset' the iPad? The latter involves holding down the ON-OFF & the HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, release both and allow the device to do a hard reboot - no settings, data, or apps will be lost. Let us know - Dave

OP
B

Burgite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Giradman,

I was using the on/off function. I've now tried the Reset but I still have the same problem.

Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can try Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't delete any of your content, apps, or accounts, but it will default a lot of the other iPads settings.

You should also check the Skype and MagicJack apps to see if they have updates. Or even delete and reinstall them.

No idea what else to try. Until you mentioned it I didn't even realize there was a setting for it.

Last edited:
OP
B

Burgite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That will be my next step, tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'll post how it works.

OP
B

Burgite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in posting the results of the "Reset all Settings" but I was out of town and was afraid that I might cause problems with the action.

I've done it now and.... it still does not dial automatically when I click on a phone number.

I get the message that another application will open but nothing happens. (See pix)
image.jpg
Thanks for your help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Darn. Well I'm out of ideas. I don't use the feature so I am not familiar enough with how it works to make any other guesses.

Well, maybe one other idea. You could try deleting and reinstalling the app(s) you want to handoff to. If you haven't already tried that.

OP
B

Burgite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried it and...no luck.

It has to be simple but I'm thinking that I am more simple than the solution.

I appreciate your efforts and will continue to search. If you find anything, please let me know!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have not done so, be sure to check out the support forums of the apps, if they have one. You're probably not the only one having issues.

Most reactions

Latest posts