What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guide: Creating Safari Bookmarklets

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Man, I loves me some bookmarklets... :)

I know right! There awesome, not used much but the ones I do are great! Thanks for spuring this on!

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This isnt working on my iPhone 4s 5.0.1, did they break JavaScript bookmarklets in this iOS? I remember reading about something.

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which one isn't working? I just tried the one to open Atomic Web Browser and it creates fine and opens Atomic from Safari.

If you mean the Skyfire one, then I wasn't able to test it (don't have it on iPhone, didn't want to buy it ... sorry).

Oh, and I have the exact phone set up.

Marilyn

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Which one isn't working? I just tried the one to open Atomic Web Browser and it creates fine and opens Atomic from Safari.

If you mean the Skyfire one, then I wasn't able to test it (don't have it on iPhone, didn't want to buy it ... sorry).

Oh, and I have the exact phone set up.

Marilyn

I'm doing it from icab, it works on iPad but not on the iPhone, weird

Edit: it works with puffin but not skyfire, maybe it's named differently on the iPhone?

Last edited:
OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just discovered these today. You can now add and use bookmarklets in Safari to increase or decrease the font!

These two JavaScript codes reflow the text, so if Reader (in iOS5.x) doesn't work or show up, you can make the text larger or smaller without have to scroll the page back and forth as you would with merely zooming. And, should you wish, the font can be restored back to the original by refreshing the page.

You creat these bookmarklets using the same process described in the first post in this thread; I've added the scripts to that first post. I recommend placing them directly on your Bookmarks bar for quick and easy access. Due to my fat fingers, I titled mine [[ + ]] and [[ - ]] because just the plus or minus symbols alone were too small to touch with any accuracy. YMMV.

What awesome tweaks! - courtesy of a blogger named Marcos Kirsch.

Marilyn

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I fixed the "Send to Instapaper" bookmarklet. I must have been using an older JavaScript. The one that's there now works fine on my iOS 5.0.1 iPad. So, if you've been trying it and it hasn't worked, try again, please. And ... sorry for the bad code.

Thanks for the heads up on the fix needed, twerppoet. 'Preciate it.

Marilyn

godsakes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't suppose it might be possible to create a bookmarklet to launch a safari webpage in iswifter? iswifter is an alternative to Skyfire which I prefer (it renders the whole page and is less prone to errors)

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I, too, pick iSwifter as my browser of choice if I HAVE to view a Flash video. However, I can find nothing about whether there is a bookmarklet for this app. Nor can I/do I have the capability to figure out how to write one.

Sorry, but it looks as if we'll have to continue to use the old "cut and paste" method...

Marilyn

godsakes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, too, pick iSwifter as my browser of choice if I HAVE to view a Flash video. However, I can find nothing about whether there is a bookmarklet for this app. Nor can I/do I have the capability to figure out how to write one.

Sorry, but it looks as if we'll have to continue to use the old "cut and paste" method...

Marilyn
Pity, thanks for taking the time to reply :)

crazyh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Missing the script for Photon

But i love the other ones

crazyh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone try this?

javascript:(function()%7Bif(document.location.href.indexOf('http')===0)document.location.href=document.location.href.replace(/%5Ehttp/,'photon');%7D)();

OP
Mickey330

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Works for me. I'll add it to the main list (in the first post).

Thanks for finding it (making it?) and posting it.

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts