What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gps

jengmn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love to do some geocaching with my ipad. Is this even possible? I don't have the iphone and my Garmin doesn't have enough battery power. I would hate to get lost in the woods! Thanks for your help. :)

Reaction score
If you have an iPad 3G, than your iPad has a gps modul and can be used for geocaching. The wifi only iPad does not support gps and is therefore more limited in determining your location, it will work great in cities, but not so well on the countryside, as it uses Wifi networks to triangulate it's position.

Anyway, if you would share the country you are living in, unless that is a secret, you may even get a few suggestions for geocaching apps. :)

OP
jengmn

jengmn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Geocaching

Thanks for your quick responses. I live in the United States; Minnesota, to be exact. Appreciate your help!:)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have an iPad 3G, than your iPad has a gps modul and can be used for geocaching. The wifi only iPad does not support gps and is therefore more limited in determining your location, it will work great in cities, but not so well on the countryside, as it uses Wifi networks to triangulate it's position.

Anyway, if you would share the country you are living in, unless that is a secret, you may even get a few suggestions for geocaching apps. :)

The OP lives in Ham Lake, MN...

City of Ham Lake

Tim.....:D

(One up for Tim - at last!!!!!)

Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The OP lives in Ham Lake, MN...

City of Ham Lake

Tim.....:D

(One up for Tim - at last!!!!!)

There is anon-valid excuse. iPF does not list these extra information. :)

Anyway, here are a few apps to look at:

You Need A Map is a free app with offline maps.
-Offline Topo Maps (free app)
-Gaia GPS (paid app)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts