What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS active without 3G or Wifi Active?

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TomTom will work on the iPad in 2x or 1x mode. Not pretty but I does. Navagon has both iPhone and iPad versions, last time I looked it was one price gets it on both. Both have many different versions of maps and prices for use across the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Happy1137 said:
How can you change starting point in navfree. Thank you.

In the bottom right hand corner there is a little box with an arrow (took me a while to find it). Click that and it will open the options to change starting point etc :)

Darkangelwitch (Surrey) Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
slothead

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
Hey guys, I want to expand my past thread... (and I think I have pretty much forgotten EVERYTHING!). But this trip we are flying to Venice, then cruising to the Greek isles, then to Turkey and then Croatia (We are havin' fun NOW!!)

So what is the best GPS client for these places without changing apps between countries, and will I need different sim cards for each? (I'm so confused... Do you guys remember Vinny Barbarino?)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
slothead said:
Hey guys, I want to expand my past thread... (and I think I have pretty much forgotten EVERYTHING!). But this trip we are flying to Venice, then cruising to the Greek isles, then to Turkey and then Croatia (We are havin' fun NOW!!)

So what is the best GPS client for these places without changing apps between countries, and will I need different sim cards for each? (I'm so confused... Do you guys remember Vinny Barbarino?)

No wifi or cellular signal is needed for GPS to work. GPS satellite signals are received directly by your iPad or iPhone. What you do need,in the absence of cellular signals or wifi is a GPS app which has maps downloaded to your device,for offline use.
You do,of course,need a wifi+ 3G/4G iPad or iPhone as the GPS circuitry is shared by the cellular systems.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Look at Navigon. It has maps for various parts of the world. You will need to load the right ones ahead of time before starting your trip. I can't speak to the sim card issue as I have not used any while in another country, but I believe you will need various sims and data plans in the various countries you visit.

Best.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Look at Navigon. It has maps for various parts of the world. You will need to load the right ones ahead of time before starting your trip. I can't speak to the sim card issue as I have not used any while in another country, but I believe you will need various sims and data plans in the various countries you visit.

Best.

I have Navigon and it works great even without a Sim card installed.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have Navigon and it works great even without a Sim card installed.

Yes, a wifi iPad with an external GPS BT receiver doesn't need a SIM card for Nav [with maps loaded], so neither would a 3G/4G enabled iPad [as long as you don't want data on your iPad].

Most reactions