What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Search on Safari

Flotzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
The Google Search in Safari has changed the way it's design. I prefer the old Google.

Can I change it back?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've heard they updated the tablet page, but I'm still seeing the standard desktop version of the site. Try entering google.com in the URL field.

OP
Flotzie

Flotzie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's what I get.

Attachments

• image-753944882.png
    image-753944882.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 451

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's strange, here is what I got 30 seconds ago......

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-3112469949.png
    image-3112469949.png
    234.1 KB · Views: 379

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Isn't this what Tim was moaning about yesterday? I get the same screen as Gabriel!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm having the same "problem," though I rather like the new display (I think). Though it definitely looks like Google has redone this, if your browser allows you change the browser identity, you can get back the standard display by choosing either Firefox 3 (Windows) or Safari 5 (Mac). I tested those two and they will return you to the original display. I believe that the updated Safari in iOS5 will also allow these changes when the time comes.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looks like the google.co.uk site redirects to a tablet optimized page. I can't find any way to bypass it, including deleting the #sclient=tablet portion of the URL.

You can bypass this by using a third party browser like Atomic or iCab Mobile. These browsers let you change their browser ID's so that the web site thinks they are desktop computers. The setting is under the gear/cog icon in Atomic, and somewhat deeper in the settings for iCab Mobile.

The search field acts a bit wonky when I don this, but it is still usable. I think it's the Instant Search feature that is doing it.

The google.com site has not yet been afflicted with this change. So unless you need UK specific results you could just go to that site instead.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Looks like the google.co.uk site redirects to a tablet optimized page. I can't find any way to bypass it, including deleting the #sclient=tablet portion of the URL.

You can bypass this by using a third party browser like Atomic or iCab Mobile. These browsers let you change their browser ID's so that the web site thinks they are desktop computers. The setting is under the gear/cog icon in Atomic, and somewhat deeper in the settings for iCab Mobile.

The search field acts a bit wonky when I don this, but it is still usable. I think it's the Instant Search feature that is doing it.

The google.com site has not yet been afflicted with this change. So unless you need UK specific results you could just go to that site instead.

Hmm.....but both the screen shots above are google.co.uk but different result layouts........something seems strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna call?

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry, missed that, and the mistake was reinforced when I went to the desktop version of google.co.uk and got this third result.

And I notice that info's location is the Bay Area (California I assume), and is getting the mobile page.

oooohh, a mystery. Lets see if we have any detectives lurking about.

Update Note: There is an ad bar to the right. Atomic just auto zoomed so that it is not showing.

Attachments

• googleuk.png
    googleuk.png
    199.7 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I am in California. I am also getting the simplified page when I use Safari or Safari (iPad) in iCabMobile. The www.google.com/ncr works to give me the standard Google search page but when I search, it just reverts back to the new/simplified layout.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On a side note, if you want to force the browser to google.com (without it redirecting) . Goto Google

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

This works. It's not ideal in any ways, but it works.

I get so sick of companies deciding things like this for us. What right do they have???

If you're going to do this, at least give us the option to revert to the old version.

Google is just as bad as Netflix in their UI control. Frick on a Frick.

Most reactions

Latest posts