What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

goodreader help: HTML links to locally stored pdf documents in goodreader

bendowd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there

i have goodreader and i want to have a HTML file that hyperlinks to PDF files stored in the goodreader app (i.e. the hyperlink being like mobile/var/goodreader/documents/[name of file].....)
I have a large number of pdf's, so instead of having to scroll through many pdfs, it would be great to open a html with hyperlinks to the PDF files!

Can this be done in a NON jailbroken ipad?

thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, as you probably know you can generate a link to a document in GoodReader. This link will open GoodReader to that document from any app that allows URL links on the iPad.

If you are willing to use and external app to link into GoodReader, then I recommend Evernote. You can create pages with a list of links that will open in GoodReader. The flexibility, and excellent search and organizing abilities of Evernote would mean you have a good chance of finding the link you want, even if collect a lot of them.

Evernote has a similar ability, by the way, where you can generate links to specific notes. Unfortunately it's not possible to do it from the iPad app. YOu need to use the website or one of the desktop apps.

If you really want that HTML document that you can store in GoodReader itself, I only know of one app that fits the bill {though there are probably others}.

Blog Docs allows you to create HTML pages and export or open them in a variety of ways. I created a quick one-link document and used the Open In feature to copy it to GoodReader; where it worked.

I've been playing with Blog Docs on and off for a few days. It is a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor, so no HTML coding experience needed.

I originally got it to create HTML signature files for Mail. A couple days ago I created a recipe template to use with Evernote Food. An experimental solution I'm not entirely happy with. The app is a bit quirky and the controls are not always obvious; but it does the job of laying out a basic HTML page and allowing you to export it.

OP
B

bendowd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thankyou very much for the reply.

I might try out those programs

However, is it possible to just insert a specific file link (i.e. mobile/var/goodreader/documents/[name of document] into the HMTL page?

The thing is, i have a html hyperlinked document on my non-mac computer , so i was hoping i could just insert the correct file link to the file in Goodreader, so that when i upload the HTML document to Goodreader (via a .zip file), then it will open the documents via the link.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
thankyou very much for the reply.

I might try out those programs

However, is it possible to just insert a specific file link (i.e. mobile/var/goodreader/documents/[name of document] into the HMTL page?

The thing is, i have a html hyperlinked document on my non-mac computer , so i was hoping i could just insert the correct file link to the file in Goodreader, so that when i upload the HTML document to Goodreader (via a .zip file), then it will open the documents via the link.

I can't think of any reason why you could not insert the link into any HTML document you like. It won't work until it is on the iPad, but that should not affect your ability to actually create the link.

The easiest way to get the links to the computer (for copying and pasting into your HTML document) would be to gather them into a text document or email, then send them via email. Or you could use Evernote to gather them too, if you end up getting it. I recommend accompanying each link with a description, if the file name is not descriptive enough.

From there it would be no different than creating any other HTML link in whatever app you are using.

I suppose you could create the links from scratch instead, if you know your file structure and the filenames, . Here is an example of a document link generated by GoodReader.

HTML:
gropen://0/PDFs/NewDocument%202.pdf?cc=1

I have only the vaguest idea of what the "?cc=1" bit at the end does, but the document won't open without it. A little experimenting, say a sample from each folder you intend to use (and a few different file sizes and types), would probably be a good idea.

Last edited:

Most reactions