What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Linking Documents

weskusjaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have goodreader, numbers and pages on my ipad 2

My requirement is to be able to create a hyperlink in one document that will take me to another place in another pdf dockument, pages, or numbers file and when I am finished reading that, it must take me back to the original document.

I have tried to create a link between documents but seems not to be able to do it.

Is there anybody out there with some advice on how to do this.

Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I have goodreader, numbers and pages on my ipad 2

My requirement is to be able to create a hyperlink in one document that will take me to another place in another pdf dockument, pages, or numbers file and when I am finished reading that, it must take me back to the original document.

I have tried to create a link between documents but seems not to be able to do it.

Is there anybody out there with some advice on how to do this.

Thanks

Because of the restrictions imposed by the iPad's operating system, iOS, hyperlinking between documents from different apps cannot be done. On the iPad all apps are 'sandboxed' and cannot interact with each other in the way that programs on a PC can. The only interaction that is allowed is strictly controlled by the iPad's operating system, and hyperlinking is not in that category.

Of course, if you have an iPad that is jailbroken, then anything is possible....

Tim

OP
W

weskusjaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

Just to confirm for me, a Jailbroken ipad will be able to do this?

If so then I must go and research this jailbroken thing, pro's and cons etc. Might be worth my while in order to be able to do what I need to do?

Thanks for quick answer

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

Just to confirm for me, a Jailbroken ipad will be able to do this?

If so then I must go and research this jailbroken thing, pro's and cons etc. Might be worth my while in order to be able to do what I need to do?

Thanks for quick answer

I think the operative word here is 'could do this'. Whether anyone has yet written an app to enable that I am unsure. But in a jailbroken iPad it is possible to have a central file repository, I believe, in a manner similar to that on a regular PC. I will move this thread over to the Hacking section to see if any of the hacking gurus will be able to help you.

I hope that's OK with you. I'll leave a permanent redirect in the original thread.

Tim
iPad Forum Moderator

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never had the need to experiment with what you are describing, so honesty don't know if there is a solution even when jailbroken. Let's see what our members come back with... They are a highly creative bunch.

Most reactions

Latest posts