What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodreader edit

blueraven81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my new iPad and perhaps I was overwhelmed by all the raves about the GoodReader app, but apparently you can only read docs and excel files and not be able to edit them. Am I correct?

If so, can anyone recommend an app that will allow me to edit these MS files?

Thanks,
Blueraven

OP
B

blueraven81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, so it looks like for annotating on PDFs, GoodReader was a good choice.

After some more research; for word and excel, it appears most like either "pages"/"numbers" or "Docs To Go".

I used to have Docs To Go a few years ago on my windows smart phone and recall it worked OK.

pages and numbers are $9.99 each and Docs To Go is $14.99.

What's everyone's vote?

Blueraven

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For easy editing and creation of documents, Apple's Numbers, Pages, and Keynote. They also tend to have the most options, though there are specific options, especially for Excel spreadsheets, that are only available in the other documents. Freezing cells is one.

For the best compatibility with Microsoft Office, Documents 2 Go; though there might be some disagreement from users of the other two products. These apps tend to take turns one-upping each other. Compatibility tends to come at the price of creativity. The easiest way to deal with difficult to display features it to not allow the editing of them on the iPad.

My opinion on the Docs 2 Go are second hand gathered from reviews and comments on the forum. So if I'm in error, please correct me, but be nice. ;)

Last edited:

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
blueraven81 said:

After some more research; for word and excel, it appears most like either "pages"/"numbers" or "Docs To Go".

I used to have Docs To Go a few years ago on my windows smart phone and recall it worked OK.

What's everyone's vote?

Blueraven

Wrong

Quick Office $24 is the only decent MS Office replacement on the iPad.

I have them all.

IWork is OK but not a replacement for MS Office.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

writerranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
blueraven81 said:

What's everyone's vote?

Blueraven

Wrong

Quick Office $24 is the only decent MS Office replacement on the iPad.

I have them all.

IWork is OK but not a replacement for MS Office.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I don't think it's a "right" or "wrong" kind of thing. Just individual preference and what you want out of your app. A little research on each app should give the user an idea on what's best for them. This is all highly subjective stuff.

On edit: By the way, Quickoffice is 40% off right now and on sale for $14.99.

Last edited:

yianniskyr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quick office or office2 hd?
Which application you think is almost compatible with mc office?

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages/numbers, or quick office the best. Havent heard about office HD yet.

OP
B

blueraven81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well for PDFs, GoodReader appears to do what I needed.
For word, excel and powerpoint, I went with Docs to go. It worked well on my windows mobile and android phones and appears to work well with the iPad.

thanks all for the advice,
Blueraven

Most reactions

Latest posts