What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gns 5870 mfi bt gps?

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool, yea. Was reading the reviews on amazon a little bit ago....do u know what app your friend with wifi uses? And how exactly do u set it up? All this is new to me sorry

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Craig, does this gps work across all location service apps on iPad. I've been waiting for ages for bad elf gps so I can use avionics charts and gps apps as a backup on boat deliveries...so it's not specifically geared to aviation apps?.

craigvince

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Craig, does this gps work across all location service apps on iPad. I've been waiting for ages for bad elf gps so I can use avionics charts and gps apps as a backup on boat deliveries...so it's not specifically geared to aviation apps?.

So far, it seems to work on any app I've tried it with. According to the mfr, any Apple app that uses a GPS will work with this unit.

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thx. I ordered one. Will post my experiences here. For mariners....I just paid the 24 bucks for navionics HD iPad app...we will see how the two work together as compared to the high end chart plotters

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whats a good app for actually driving vehicles that this devise will work with besides motion x drive hd since it wont let me install that app?

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems to work fine

I got the 5870 when bad elf had such a baclog. It paired instantly and seems to work w all location services. I'm glad I re read this post before I jail broke the iPad. Am doing a yacht delivery in April. Will post with results as compared to the on board chartplotters

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works great

This is a fine piece of hardware. It connects instantly and acquires well. Also nearly as accurate as the high end marine gps units I use on boats. Assume that it is Bluetooth so you can place it for good reception. Even on a boat roof in zip bag if necessary and the iPad stays warm and dry. I have not had to do this yet it works fine on the dash. My iPad is not jail broken. I'd like to but I'm researching tonight because I read somewhere that jailbreak actually may stop this unit from functioning. Any feedback there ?

Bucko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have the GNS 5870 GPS ,I bought it for my iPod Touch 4g and it works a treat.Picks up my ipod through Bluetooth as soon as its switched on.Great as a Sat Nav or as a Golf GPS with Sky droid,I would think it would do all this for the iPad as well.(OS.4.2.1)

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've found the power switch to be fickal. Personally Im not a fan of the touch based finger gluide switch. I've sometimes found it active in my pocket when I didn't intend to have it on.

Other then the temperamental on/off its a nice unit and goes very well with various kinds of preloaded map apps. Now if only apple would put in the API to show satellite reception. Then we'd be talking.

It actually did work rather well from my pants pocket. :D

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Having started this thread last December, I thought that I would report my eventual decision.

I saw a 3.5" TomTom unit for $99 the other day and bought it thinking that there wasn't much to loose.

For me, I think that it I is the best solution. I does the job, it's easy to read and I can put it in my pocket when I leave the car.

I have been using GPS on my Windows Mobile phone for years but the text is just too small to read easily on the 2.x" screen making it a bit of an accident risk.

I know that there are vehicle mounts for the iPad but they are all quite ugly looking and expensive. Also, I think that the iPad is just too big to find a home for it on the dashboard and I would have to carry it around with me at my destination.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that's where we have different uses. I could care less about car navigation. What interests me in an iPad with supplemental GPS as a tool for field work. The screen size is good enough to display more complex maps and data then a typical consumer handheld GPS can manage. With companies like ESRI getting involved with iOS apps you can start to see where iPads could begin eating a laptops lunch for field work.

Once it goes beyond just viewing map data to actually taking input and map feature editing, with data base queries, that will be a sweet thing.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think that's where we have different uses. I could care less about car navigation. What interests me in an iPad with supplemental GPS as a tool for field work.

I couldn't agree more.

For field work, general mapping, marine/air navigation, even hiking, the iPad is a serious option. It has adequate screen size/resolution, it's light weight, has good battery life and a range of productivity apps (Numbers, Pages etc).

I was always looking mainly for car navigation and I think that I have made the right choice there. For location based services, I think that WiFi MAC address location is adequate. These days, if there are no WiFi routers in range, there are probably no services :).

Jonathan07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chart plotting

I've been using one for 3 weeks now and it works flawlessly. I bought mine directly from the manufacturer for $99 on Amazon, but it cost me $60 in shipping! :(

Hi there, thats fantastic,
Can you tell me have you used the Navionics charts app on the IPAD 2 with the GPS?

Many thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts