What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gift card redeem iTunes refuses to allow

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all.

My iPad 2 is registered in west Australia . At the present I am visiting New Zealand and wish to top up my credit so that I can make iTune purchses.

I purchased a $20 gift card but when I tried to redeem the card, I was rejected by iTunes and the pop up box stated that the card should be "redeemed in the New Zealand shop front"...........Whatever that means!

I am sorry to say that I cannot tell you the version of iTunes that I have loaded on my iPad as I do not know how to go about ascertaining that information on the iPad.

Can someone please help me overcome this conundrum so that I can spend my $20.

Why does iTunes make things so hard?

Regards

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You purchased the iTunes card in New Zealand, so you'll need an Apple ID from there to be able to redeem the card. iTunes cards can only be used in the App Store's country where they were bought.

You're from Australia, and so is your Apple ID, so iTunes won't accept the card, because it's from a different country. For your account, you need an Australian iTunes cards.

Last edited:
OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

As I have found. But surely there has to be a way around this. I am sure that I am not the only international traveller to experience this problem.

I cannot find anything in any iTunes literature that states that fact.

To create another identity for only 2 more weeks and then go though all that BS again when I go back home well, not very satisfactory really is it?

Like wise I cannot find anything relating to a refund for such cases.

Regards.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, there's no way around this. If you use your Apple ID and change it to another country, you'll be stuck there as long as there's still balance on the account.

On the iTunes cards, the side with the code, you'll find something like "only redeem in New Zealand iTunes Store...".

Here's infomation from Apple's support site:
image.jpg

Maybe you'll get help here:
http://reportaproblem.apple.com/

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever else happens, Apple won't give refunds on an iTunes gift card purchased for the wrong iTunes Store. You could give or sell it to friends or family in New Zealand or set up a New Zealand iTunes account and spend it yourself. As J. A. Said, there's no way around the problem.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you need an Australian iTunes card, a friend or family member from your country could purchase one of them and send the redeem code to you, or send it to you as gift, so you can redeem it yourself.

OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi there.

We'll it looks like I just donated $20 to iTunes so they do not go broke

Sadly I do not know anyone over here to whom I can either sell or give the card.

JA I did toy with the ideas you suggested, but it,s too late now, I will be going home in just over a week.

Interestingly, I punched Accounts > country/region on the iPad and up popped a red message, "you have a store credit balance; you must spend your balance before you can change stores".

How can you spend $2.96 without leaving a few cents outstanding at least?

I have not found anyway of clearing any left over monies, so it would appear that even that advice is nonsensical

I am not a happy camper.

Regards

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you still have a balance on your current Australian Apple ID, you're not able to change it to a different country. That's why I told you you'd be stuck in that country's App Store, when I thought of the New Zealand one.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are a few online gift card exchanges. That may be a long term way to get your money back, or at least part of it. Do enough research to make sure they are legitimate before using.

In the future you could try going to the Apple Store (online) for your country and purchasing an iTunes Card with email delivery, and choosing yourself as the recipient. Of course, you'll need to use a credit card, which is probably what you were trying to avoid.

I'm not sure what happened with the store switching thing. You can always change stores by signing out (tapping on your Apple ID at the bottom of the first tab and SignOut), then signing back in with your other account (for a different country).

Once signed out, signing back in will give you the option to create a new account.

BTW, I really don't recommend making a new account just so you can use the iTunes Gift Card. It's not worth $20 to add that complexity to your life. Once something is purchased it is linked that that account. You end up having to switch accounts to update apps, and authorize multiple accounts to use your media. A hassle that's worthwhile only if there is something in the other store you must have and can not get by other means.

Last edited:
OP
Janset

Janset

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi guys
Lu cky break the lady next door to my sister in law took it off my hands.

I am once again a hAppy camper. :)

Regards and thank for all the input

Most reactions