What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

getting frustrated with mulitple restores

mcerlain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm running 4.2.1; jailbroken with redsnOw

I installed Yourtube HD using the "wildcat" fix as outlined here.

Fix the gsc.wildcat error with FullForce for iPad in Cydia | GumballTech

After the install, Cydia tells me to reboot. At this point, the iPad always gets stuck at the apple logo.
I override it with a teathered reboot with redsnOw.

When I open the Youtube app, the "downloaded files" button appears on the bottom right corner.

Problem is, when selecting any youtube video, the app immediately crashes.

I've read in a few other forums to do a restore, rejailbreak and resync and, essentially start over.
Needless to say, that's a timing consuming process.
Over the past 4 days, I've done 4 complete restores, re-jailbreaks and resyncs.....nothing gets youtube working with Yourtube HD installed.

I've tried MXtube and atube. Maybe I'm not very bright....but I can't really figure out how they work. The usability is no where near as easy as Yourtube.

My question: should I just abandon the concept of being able to download and save videos?
The time investment is starting to become rediculous.

Any input/comments are greatly appreciated.

:confused:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you are basically forcing an app which is not 4.2.1 compatible to run on 4.2.1, so you shouldnt expect it to work perfectly..., and i wouldnt see a restore, re-jailbreak solving anything... JB apps which hook into stock Apple apps are most likely to break between major os versions because Apple often updates the stock apps too...

I agree that MXTube isnt perfect, but it does work on 4.2.1, so i would suggest either spending the time learning how it works to see if you can live with it, or wait for a working 4.2.1 YourTube.

Hope that helps.

OP
M

mcerlain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the logical approach!
Sometimes I get too focused on "making something work", instead of looking at the bigger picture.
One more restore and I'm done! At least, for now. ;)

Most reactions