What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting asked for payment on free apps

Nobby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It must be a glitch with IO7 but, when I touch the "Free" and then the "Install" I get asked for my apple password and the my password again and my credit card details appear. This never happened previously, can it be fixed?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It must be a glitch with IO7 but, when I touch the "Free" and then the "Install" I get asked for my apple password and the my password again and my credit card details appear. This never happened previously, can it be fixed?
I've downloaded a few free apps, even paid ones since installing iOS 7, but was never asked for payment method details.
Perhaps there were problems with your credit card/something wasn't paid and you have an outstanding balance.

OP
N

Nobby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, but I figured out the problem, well, not THE problem, I have figured out how to stop the error in asking for payment on a free app, as per:
I went into settings and viewed my account, there is an option after all the credit details to touch "None" in essence deleting all my credit card details and thereby and the automatic payment on downloads was disabled. I checked a free app and all was well. Perhaps because I had not filled in the security code for my card made the payment pop up , pop up. I am therefore wondering if iTunes charges for something you didn't know had charges, what do you think Apple experts?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, but I figured out the problem, well, not THE problem, I have figured out how to stop the error in asking for payment on a free app, as per: I went into settings and viewed my account, there is an option after all the credit details to touch "None" in essence deleting all my credit card details and thereby and the automatic payment on downloads was disabled. I checked a free app and all was well. Perhaps because I had not filled in the security code for my card made the payment pop up , pop up. I am therefore wondering if iTunes charges for something you didn't know had charges, what do you think Apple experts?
Interesting!
I have one Apple ID with "None" as payment method and without credit. I already downloaded a free app with that ID, but wasn't asked for anything but my password.
iTunes certainly doesn't charge for free apps. If there's something you have to pay, the buttons don't look the same.

I still suppose that by disabling your credit card details and switching to "None", there was an app that wasn't paid before you noticed it, and by changing your payment method again, iTunes was able to get the outstanding payment.

OP
N

Nobby21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think I was charged unwittingly or otherwise. The thing is, I believe the reason the verify account and then the credit details popped up was because the code on the back of the credit card was not entered and therefore caused an error. I have purchased other items via iTunes through not concentrating on what I was doing and touching the screen in the wrong area. So, this might be Apple making sure you actually want the item by making you check the details on file. Which is in my case a good idea. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

Most reactions

Latest posts