What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get an ipad 2 or ipad 3?

invader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm wondering which one to get because the iPad 2 is the exact same thing as the iPad 3 except for a few minor changes. What do you personally think I should do?

celly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"exact same thing"

"a few minor changes"

Get a 2 if you really believe that.

OP
invader

invader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
celly said:
"exact same thing"

"a few minor changes"

Get a 2 if you really believe that.

Yes there're minor changes.

They had a camera before, they just improved it.

They had a processor chip, they just improved it

They had a display before, they just improved it

They had Internet before, they just improved it

And so the list goes on. What's so special about the new iPad? A plain disappointment I'd say. I mays well get a 2 after all.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you don't have one and you can afford it, I'd get the latest model. You'll get better hardware, probably longer updates in firmware, and better resale later, if that's a consideration.

gleff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've already got an iPad 2 but i'm seriously thinking of upgrading to the ipad 3 just for the improved display and quad core cpu... Games would rock on the new iPad 3.

Having said that, I may wait a little while because I only bought my iPad 2 a few months ago LOL. I want to try and get my money's worth before upgrading.

OP
invader

invader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gleff said:
I've already got an iPad 2 but i'm seriously thinking of upgrading to the ipad 3 just for the improved display and quad core cpu... Games would rock on the new iPad 3.

Having said that, I may wait a little while because I only bought my iPad 2 a few months ago LOL. I want to try and get my money's worth before upgrading.

Yeah I know what you mean :)

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A lot of people pondered the same when the 2 came out. Quite a lot of 1 owners upgraded immediately and sold their 1's, and plenty of people bought the used 1's. Quite a few people with the 1 never updgraded and perhaps might do so now. The left over brand new 1's were also sold at discounted prices and went pretty fast. There are plenty of brand new 2's in stock now and they are $100 off the original price. I just got the 2 recently, with the intent of being a holdout until at least the a while after the release of the 3, because my 1 has been serving my needs quite well. But I was just gifted a brand new 2 under 3 weeks ago, and even knowing the 3 would be announced and ready for purchase within a month, I opted to keep the 2. My hubby gifted me with it, so it's not like I couldn't have returned it to wait. It wouldn't offend him, but I was like, hey cool, no problem, and in another 2 years, go for the 3. And I still have my 1 which I can't part with and will use until the battery goes, and I foresee having the 1 for a few more years too.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The OP needs to evaluate his needs. You may not need a new model of the iPad, and if so, there are several options available. Change is incremental in good products. If not, the clamoring would be never ending. Not all people need tablets, and not every tablet user needs an iPad. And the way the iPad is so ahead of other tablets, it does not make any difference which model you get.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seadog said:
The OP needs to evaluate his needs. You may not need a new model of the iPad, and if so, there are several options available. Change is incremental in good products. If not, the clamoring would be never ending. Not all people need tablets, and not every tablet user needs an iPad. And the way the iPad is so ahead of other tablets, it does not make any difference which model you get.

Agreed. The changes and upgrade to the iPad 3 are certainly nice to have but they don't suddenly render the iPad 2 garbage worthy or anything. If I was in the market and was watching my finances the iPad 2 would be on my short list, especially once they come down in price. I'll stick with my iPad 2 for quite some time. The screen looks great and it plays the games and runs the apps I want without breaking a sweat. Good enough for me.

AlxiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say that if you a new iPad user I would get the new device. Unless money is an issue of course

Sent from my iPad 2

OP
invader

invader

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very one for your help. Its much appreciated :)

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I held firm and did not upgrade to ipad2 for the very reasons expressed in this thread. With that being said I was locked and loaded to jump on this newest model. The jump from ipad1 to iPad has proved incredible thus far.

My advice to first time buyers....squeeze the piggy bank and go retina and you will not regret doing so.

I understand the ipad2 thinking from an apple perspective but I believe they overestimate it and underestimate the retina model market.

I'm sure ipad1 will be selling at kindle fire prices on eBay. That I would recommend to a first time buyer with zero apple product experience.

In my case my son happily took my ipad1 off my hands and vowed to honor and cherish it....... While he waits for me to upgrade again. The circle of life as we know it will never end lol!

Last edited by a moderator:

TC93

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I read, the iPad 3 weighs more, runs warmer, and it takes much longer to charge the battery.

The retina display in my opinion is nothing but a marketing gimmick as at normal viewing distances your eyes can't see any difference. That's why the online reviews always show a microscopic close up of the screen. Because they know you can't see the difference otherwise.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TC93 said:
From what I read, the iPad 3 weighs more, runs warmer, and it takes much longer to charge the battery.

The retina display in my opinion is nothing but a marketing gimmick as at normal viewing distances your eyes can't see any difference. That's why the online reviews always show a microscopic close up of the screen. Because they know you can't see the difference otherwise.

You can definitely see the difference! Have you even looked at one? Or an iPhones retina screen? Big big difference.

Most reactions

Latest posts