What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gen 3 12.9 touchscreen problem

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I posted about a month ago about my small letter I, O, & S key and the space bar not working most of the time in portrait mode. Worked fine in landscape. After a restore and also reinstalling ios12 still had the problem. Genius Bar had no idea either. Took it back and switched it for another new one. Guess what same problem. Worked with Apple and they seem to think it was a hardware problem as I reset it back to factory and set it up as new with no other software. Still did it. Find it hard to believe I got to bad units when first one came from factory and 2nd one from local Apple store 3 weeks later. So returned it today on final of 2 week return period. Going out of town till first of year and will try again. I watched numerous times as I hit those letters and nothing happened. I can’t be the only one with this problem.

JezzerP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.design-79.co.uk
I have not heard of anything similar I'm afraid, and my iPad Pro is working fine. It is kind of ironic that it is the iOS keys that are failing....sorry, couldn't resist!! ;) If keys aren't working and Apple can't fix them then keep sending them back....the device is not fit for purpose and should be replaced.

I treated myself to a Brydge bluetooth keyboard for my iPad Pro and I absolutely love it, super bit of kit if you do a lot of typing : Brydge - Bluetooth keyboards for Apple iPad and Microsoft Surface Pro

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does the problem exist in both portrait modes with the charging port at the top and bottom?

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good idea but......Can’t tell you. Took it back. Landscape was fine and pencil worked everywhere. Start anew after first of the year.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now I’m hearing some pros have a bent frame. I wonder if I got one on both pros and that’s why I was having problems. I get home tomorrow and will try a 3rd. This time I hope all is well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While some iPad Pro’s have been reported to have slightly bent frames, there have been no reports of problems caused by the bent frames.

At any rate, good luck with the new iPad.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well got my 3rd iPad Pro and set it up as a brand new ne and stil see the problem in normal portrait mode. If I switch to horizontal mode it doesn’t miss a beat. As scifan57suggested I tried it in portrait mode with the charge port at the top. Never misses a beat.
I just don’t understand it.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just noticed the o missing in one and l missing in still in my post above.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That’s really bizarre—three. I haven’t heard of anyone else having a similar issue so far. Hope it can be resolved. I truly enjoy using the 2018 12.9 Pro and have had no issues at all—LOL—well, none not self inflicted.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry I haven’t posted on this in awhile but wanted to update those who have followed this thread. After I got home on 12-28 I went to the local Apple store and got #3 12.9 pro. Added a glass screen protector and went on with life. I have not had the same problems I had with the first two so there must have been some kind of problem as this ones a charm. Only thing I can think is maybe the bent screen was the culprit. Just guessing as I returned the first two before this surfaced so have nothing to substantiate my claim. This one if it is bent I can see it so it works correctly. Thanks to those of you who offered suggestions.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After 2 months with this one it’s degraded down to the same problems. Took the screen protector off as some blamed them. Still no help. Finding lots of posts googling with past generations of same problems with touch screen. Everybody is blaming Apple but they act Ike they know of no problems. Same as they told me. Not a happy camper.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well by the time the new one came the only reliable way of using it was with the pencil.

OP
D

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hopefully last update. Number 4 is still working correctly and it will again be almost 2 months. I can’t understand why it took me this long to get a iPad that types correctly and no one else has/had this problem. I guess I’m just lucky.

Most reactions

Latest posts