What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FYI: The inevitable Windows 7 tablet vs. iPad video

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It appears that the video has been on YouTube for about 6 weeks now. I wonder why it just started to get attention from the iPad community now.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do wish YouTube videos would load faster on the iPad. I can't explain why they are slower, but that video shows a big difference.

Joker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do wish YouTube videos would load faster on the iPad. I can't explain why they are slower, but that video shows a big difference.

I think 'n' heard that when iPad start a Youtube video, It try to load it on the highest quality (HD). Unfortunately you can't change that.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Watched the video and just thought what a horrible shape/screen size.
Probably been conditioned, but I feel the iPad has got the size/weight ratio/battery life nicely balanced for holding one handed.

Wonder what the other pad would be like to hold for any length of time, and was it significant they were used lying down.

Roi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
roi.rnpmusic.net
It's by a Chinese manufacture called hanvon, a local company originally doing the digital handwriting devices business, and started to do e-ink readers too recently.
But this one with Windows 7 is still not really a well developed productivity device, it's the Windows on it make you think that's a "real" computer, but the poor developed user experience still sucks, such as the inaccurate touch screen, buggy gestures, despite the Windows UI just was not designed for touching, and the battery life is just the pain in ass of every Windows device.

Basically this one is just not a right competitor that matches the iPad's standard, I mean in every way.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
the Windows UI just was not designed for touching, and the battery life is just the pain in ass of every Windows device.
agreed, but I think that can be fairly easily addressed. The finger scrolling is a HUGE step in the right direction (though fairly simple to implement). The biggest frustration I had on TabletPCs was having to pen tap the scroll bars to scroll a page.

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, pretty interesting...

Sorry but for me the ExoPc is a fail. The main killer for me is the battery life of 5 hours. Now that may seem like a lot but I like to leave my iPad on throughout the day (I end up charging it every 2 or 3 days).

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
5 hours would be fine for me. I leave it on the charger on my desk most of the day anyway. Some people will care about battery life more than others.

SR45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a computer 2 to 3 hours at a time, so 5 hours or slightly less is OK for me and many others. the kicker is USB, Flash,Camera, and a slightly larger screen area that got me interested in this offering. It is also closer to having a real computer than a IPad. Not too long a wait and will read the reviews.

Wmacky1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That last one does look better! The ratio is still wrong, and it's way to big now, clearly being in laptop land. Still. it appears fairly thin, so that's nice. I guess none of these other tablets will have anything but plastic backs? I've been a windows guy until the Ipad, but always gave Apple kudos for using nice materials. I'd hate to be back in plastic land.

The Interface overlay is interesting, but Microsoft needs to build this into the OS, or better yet, offer a "Touch" version of 7, that's stripped down with a better touch GUI, but still able to run windoze apps. This solution reminds be of the old Windows 3.0 / Dos combo. Blah!

Last edited:

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sorry but for me the ExoPc is a fail. The main killer for me is the battery life of 5 hours. Now that may seem like a lot but I like to leave my iPad on throughout the day (I end up charging it every 2 or 3 days).

Still better than a laptop!... But the iPad is amazing in that respect...

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The ExoPC has not been released or even reviewed in its final form. Kinda tough to call it "a fail".

Most reactions

Latest posts