What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FYI: The inevitable Windows 7 tablet vs. iPad video

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, but I disagree that it will sell. People seem to forget that Windows tablets have been on the market for atleast 7 years now.

I do think it's a cool looking device and would consider purchasing one but i'm not sold just yet. Also you're correct you cannot compare apples to oranges. A WebOS or Android tablet work be a good comparison.

You may be right, MS has a way of screwing up a good idea ;) But, a lot is different now. The 1st gen tablets were $2000-$4000. Most of the new ones I've read about are shooting for the $500-$1000 price point.

Crashes haven't been an issue on a Windows PC since Windows 98 - at least no more than I had on the mac I used to work on back when I did video editing.

ipadfanatic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crashes haven't been an issue on a Windows PC since Windows 98 - at least no more than I had on the mac I used to work on back when I did video editing.

I did agree with you until that last statement. I'm a System Engineer and in our environment we have control on what the end user installs, what websites they cannot visit, etc. but I need a calculator to count the number of times someone has a issue with their PC due to blue screens, malware, viruses, system files missing etc.

This has nothing to do with a issue of it being a Windows OS, it has to do with how people use the OS and abuse it by downloading "nasty" little bugs.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with a issue of it being a Windows OS, it has to do with how people use the OS and abuse it by downloading "nasty" little bugs.

No argument there. I was referring to inherent instability in the platform. Windows 98/ME was horrid, but the NT kernal has been a completely different story.

SR45

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great that others are in the game and more choices for us all.... :D

Thicker ? Yes. So what ?

Like a good more robust touch screen computer than a slim down and hope a new generation will address stuff it should have had in the first place offering.

Refine the M/S pad more, use a windows 7 starter OS or Android, with the USB ports, camera, and lots more video memory, and I will consider this over the IPad. Also would like batteries that can be replaced by the owners and not have to send it in.. ;)

Drag Bunt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What can you do on windows that you can't do on iPad....I ask that question and most people can't find an answer...what exactly can't you do? I can't find anything.

Well, off the top of my head -can you run Windows Media Center on an iPad? Play just about any video file without conversion? Wake me up when you can.

iOS is full of compromises and workarounds that aren't necessary when you run a complete operating system.

I like my iPad for play but I would never confuse it with a real computer. If it's adequate for your needs, good for you.

DarkLordEnron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would've watched the video but it's a flash vid, and I'm on my iPad...
Maybe there's something to this Windows tablet...

NAAAH!

Joker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know where would iPad shine on that video? Gaming on HD quality. That's unfortunately was not shown..

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know where would iPad shine on that video? Gaming on HD quality. That's unfortunately was not shown..

I would have liked to see books and magazines. They would have looked as crappy as on my pc. At least iPad apps give out an impression of flair for tasteful design...

muyoso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot wait for the eXoPC Windows 7 Tablet to be released and for it to be compared with the iPad. The iPad will be at a MAJOR disadvantage when that happens, because not only does the eXoPC run a full OS, but it has a nice UI overlay that makes it just as finger friendly as the iPad, while still having the option to switch back to vanilla Windows 7.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Hanvon we've been shown in the movie on this thread has a plastic casing and is really thick. I don't quite like that design...

Wmacky1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't agree with that at all.

What can you do on windows that you can't do on iPad....I ask that question and most people can't find an answer.

From my daily workload...
1. Open Oracle Enterprise Manager for monitoring Oracle databases - the interface is mostly Flash
2. Open one of my company's web products that is an application built in flash
3. Connect to an Oracle Database - the is no iPad Oracle client
4. Write SQL Code, debug procedures.
5. Run complex Excel macros with embedded visual basic code (or even simple macros for that matter)
6. Print
7. Go get a file from a network location
8. Edit a Powerpoint 2007 file (Doc to go screws up the formatting on mine)
9. Download 300 photos from your camera after a vacation - RAW format
10. Edit those photos in photoshop

I could go on and on. I love the iPad. Its great for what it is, but its not the same as a full OS laptop or desktop. That's the beauty of having both on the market. For those who want the full OS, they will take the lesser battery or whatever other downsides that may come with that. For those that only need what the iPad can do, the iPad is brilliant.

Why do fans of one device feel the need to destroy anything else that comes along? If it doesnt work for you, great. What you find important might not matter to others.

BUT!

When doing those types of tasks why would you want to use a tablet anyway? That stuff screams Laptop with a real keyboard? I don't think anyone would suggest that a Ipad is the best choice for a software engineer, or a IT guy. I wouldn't be using any tablet for a full technical workload. But for the 99% rest of the world..........

I suggest that the Ipad is capable, (or will soon be), of doing most of the tasks you would ever want to do on a tablet. I'm sure printing, and better file management will come. Anything more heavy duty, and I'd rather be sitting at a real PC with a 26" LCD.

For "me" a big heavy plastic cased brick, with fans blowing out hot air, and going dead in 4 hours kills the tablet experience. A clunky interface doesn't help much either!

Hey. I'm all for a powerful tablet that can run everything, but not if it has to be a heavy, hot running brick, thats hard to use. I have a small powerful 12" Dualcore Laptop running Windows 7, but when I kick back with it to browse the web, it burns my leg! When they can make a quadcore Tablet with full OS, as sleek, slim and slick as a Ipad, i'm buying!!! I don't think it will be happening this year, We will see!

Last edited:

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The win7 on screen keyboard has numbers and arrows - everything a real keyboard has. Plus you can use a Bluetooth keyboard. As for the mouse, hopefully, they still have the wacom pen. The pen is great in addition to a touch interface. The masses may not go for it though.

I have done all of those thing on my win7 tablet pc in slate mode.

Most reactions

Latest posts