What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freezing

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This has been happening lately. I'm in an app when everything freezes. I have to close out the app and reopen. This is occurring with more frequency. I have done a hard start, I close out the tabs. Still keeps happening. Any ideas?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Could you tell us which iPad you have, which version software you are running and which App is causing the problem?

OP
ladymindful

ladymindful

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the wuick response. I am using an ipad moni, 10.2. Most of the problems are gaming apps, like magic puzzles, wood puzzle, enso.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for the wuick response. I am using an ipad moni, 10.2. Most of the problems are gaming apps, like magic puzzles, wood puzzle, enso.

Hello - just for more clarification, which iPad Mini do you own - 4 models have been released since 2012 (see HERE, if uncertain) - you are on the most recent iOS release, i.e. 10.2 - did your problem start w/ an upgrade to iOS 10.x - this would be pertinent if you have an older Mini model.

Also, did you do a 'Reset' properly - hold down both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (may take about 10 sec), then release and allow the device to reboot - if not done in this manner, then try again - let us know your results. Dave :)

oldbrick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello - just for more clarification, which iPad Mini do you own - 4 models have been released since 2012 (see HERE, if uncertain) - you are on the most recent iOS release, i.e. 10.2 - did your problem start w/ an upgrade to iOS 10.x - this would be pertinent if you have an older Mini model.

Also, did you do a 'Reset' properly - hold down both the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears (may take about 10 sec), then release and allow the device to reboot - if not done in this manner, then try again - let us know your results. Dave :)
is there any better way to solve freezing problem without entering DFU mode? I just wish there's some grenify app on Appstore to clear cache and free space... i guess there would be less freezing.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No-one is suggesting you go into DFU mode. Older iPads are more prone to freezing - they can struggle with the newer operating systems. You still haven't told us which model you are using. An iPad is not like a Mac - if you delete an App, it is completely deleted. The only cache you need to clear is that for Safari.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The gaming performance of my mini2 went downhill when I upgraded iOS from 9.x to 10.x. I wish I'd never upgraded.

However, not too long after that, my home button began sticking. At first, I could fix it with compressed air and alcohol swabs. But later, those fixes no longer worked. I ended up trading in the otherwise pristine mini2/32GB wifi on an ipad Pro 128GB wifi model that was on sale before Christmas. But I was very disappointed that a barely 2 year old mini2 would have a hardware failure that quickly.

My gaming performance remarkably improved. Loading times of the CSR2 racing game went from minutes to seconds as did in-game response.

Soft reboots (hold home and power button until the Apple logo appears) did not fix the mini2 lag issues.

In a similar vein, my 64GB original iPad got to the point where it would hang/freeze on minimal games simply due to the lack of horsepower and ram it came equipped with. But that took time to get to that point. Far longer than my ipad mini2 took to get to that point.. which I lay at the feet of iOS 10.x.

There comes a time in the Apple world where it's simply time to upgrade, even if the hardware is fully functional.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .There comes a time in the Apple world where it's simply time to upgrade, even if the hardware is fully functional.

Agreed.

Of course this is true many modern products, but especially electronic and computers. Tablets and smartphone are on a somewhat faster upgrade track because they are improving so quickly. I upgraded every year for the first few modles of iPad. Now I'm on a two year cycle. The next iPad might last 3 years. Eventually, when the technology stabilizes, we'll probaby find that upgrading will be on a 4 to 5 year cycle, similar to destop and laptop computers.

Most reactions