What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freeing up Windows C: Drive

Reaction score
I would appreciate any help with this task.

The hard drive in question is split into 3 partitions, with C having a size of 59GB. The problem is, it is full, but it should not be, because iTunes stores all data on D, all larger programs, except for Office 2007 and Steam are installed on D, and all other music/videos are on E.

I have already run the inbuilt windows cleaner, removing temporary files/system restores, etc as well as run Ccleaner and uninstalled larger programs, but to no avail. The thing is, my only documents on C are .doc's and don't take up much space, so I am not sure what to move and the few programs installed shouldn't take up much space either.

I have a feeling that iTunes is behind this, as every time I connect an iPad, the C drive fills up every space I had previously freed up. One example:
After removing XP mode, which takes up 1.1 GB, there is still only 300MB free, it had 700MB free, before I removed it. At one point there were even 5GB free, but when iTunes runs, it goes havoc :(

The thing is, I don't really care how much or little space is free, but I did reset my iPad yesterday and now iTunes won't restore due to a lack of free memory.

Is there something along the lines of an emergency cleaning button?

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a feeling that iTunes is behind this, as every time I connect an iPad, the C drive fills up every space I had previously freed up.
I suspect you have something else going on. What that is, I don't know.

My iTunes folder is only 126mb and my iTunes library folder is 17gb (of course yours will be different).

Internal hard drives are stupid cheap any more. You can get 1 1tb drive for less than $60 almost anywhere these days.

Last edited:

Pagliacci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All apps will use space on the c drive as temporay storage when they run. It is possible that when you connect the ipad it will use temp files on c drive even if itunes is stored on d drive. The first thing you need to do is identify what on c drive is taking up all the space. My guess will be the documents and settings folder where all user settings and profiles are stored or the windows folder. You will need to show hidden files and folders to get an accurate read on all folder sizes. Check out this link where another person had a similar problem. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090822113215AAY1P5K. This describes how to show hidden files and folders and get folder sizes as well as a usefull utility you can use for this purpose.

I would suggest you will need to clear enough files to leave 10 - 15 gigs free more if possible.

Ultimatly you need to consider remvoing all the partitions and have one large hard drive, there are little need to partion drives with today's OS's as you will continue to have these problems with on a 59 gb primary partition

Good luck

Pagliacci

OP
DontUnderstandMyIpad
Reaction score
Pagliacci that link was very helpful in identifying the space huggers. Thank you for posting it.

As you suspected, the User folder took up a large amount, over 20GB, with more than 10GB of it being used as iPad backups :D

The iPad is currently restoring and this time should finish with interruptions, as 9GB are free on C. Thank you again for the swift reply.

And yes, I had turned of virtual memory, removed all system restores, except one and removed all system dump files using the System Disk Utility. Good suggestions. Should be fine now.

Last edited:

Pagliacci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of other suspect that take up space on c drive are

Virtual memory where part of the c drive is used as virtual RAM. Usually 1- 2 times the amount of memory installed on the machine. The other can be memory dumps. If you have ever had windows crash with a blue screen of death it dumps the memory to a file on the hard drive. Depending on your settings it can create a new file for evey crash equivelent in size to the RAM installed.

The following article from microsoft describes how to change the vm settings http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308417. You can set it to zero in an emergancy to free up space, but only as a last resort.

This article discusses memory dump files and how to locate them and move them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316450

Regards

Pagliacci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might find the following articles useful in understanding IOS device backups in itunes

The following article from apple is a useful reference How to back up your data and set up as a new device http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

This has become relevent to Macbook air users that have the smaller SSD drives as well as the backups can take up quite a bit of space and unlike the media files (your movies, music etc) that can readily be moved to a larger internal or external drive, the back up files cannot be easily moved.

The following article explains the backup issue quite well for Mac users. http://osxdaily.com/2011/03/05/how-t...al-hard-drive/

For windows users I have not been aple to find a suitable answer so far.

I hope you find this info useful

Pagliacci

OP
DontUnderstandMyIpad
Reaction score
Thank you again for the helpful links. ITunes was the root cause. Even though it is supposed to store all media on D:, does it
a) store backups on C:
b) store apps .ipa files on C:
These two combined taking up almost 20 GB.

Last edited:

Pagliacci

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipa file are usually stored in the itunes location

In windows just go into iTunes, right click on an application, and select "Show in Windows Explorer". It will open the location of that, and all the IPA files.

It is possible that if itunes was origionaly installed in its default location on c drive and then moved that old ipa file may be left behind

The backups are always stored on the c drive regardless of where itunes is installed

Pagliacci

Most reactions

Latest posts