What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

free video converter

fagani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All
I have a couple of video files in .mkv and .avi format and cannot read them in my ipad

any suggestion of a free video converter and of which format is the best to use?

thanks/Fabio

unzoosin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No need to convert you just have to download the free oplayer app then you're good to go i've been using it myself for a while now though gave me headache at first but once you get used to it everything is perfect plus it is player and downloader in one :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Jackenhack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think Handbrake is great! It has predefined settings for iPad conversions. And it's free. Another option is Air Video. You install a program on your Mac/PC and stream with automatic conversion on fly.

---
Jack Zimmermann
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
F

fagani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
unzosin
unfortunately after having downloaded the app that you suggested, my ipad continues to refuse the mkv and avi files
it seems that they must be converted in advance

thanks all the sam

unzoosin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fagani - in my case i've played normally a handful movies already using oplayer in avi or mkv format, what i did is i just wifi transfer my post downloded movies from my comp to oplayer or u can download straight from the app thru wifi just not sure if on 3g is just as fast. Have just watched prison break in mkv format :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jacob1776

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use AVplayer. It is not free, but it has worked perfect for me. No problem playing other formats than the "regular" IPAD formats. It is also no problem to have external subtitles added.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Air video is Awesome. It streams movies very well. Also you can queue up a list of movie to convert right from the Idevice itself.
It will also add them to your itunes library for you when it is finnished converting. You simply set the conversion folder to your Itunes media folder and it is that simple. It also has an over the internet option which I haven’t tried yet. I plan to set it up to play when I’m at a family members place or a wi-fi hotspot. Between that and Splashtop with the new wifi sync you never have to go sit at your PC again.
Splashtop is like a remote desktop that doesn’t log the person out. So if someone is using the PC you can play pranks on them or watch and hear what they are doing on the PC. I use that every night to let my daughter know when it’s time for bed without having to getup or yell it to her. (Because the other two are sleeping) I don’t know if Air video has a trial but Splashtop does.
They are a must for every ipad owner that watches movies/TV on their ipad.

Most reactions

Latest posts