What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Space

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lots of moving pieces on this one, so I am not sure what the real culprit is. Updated my iTunes the other day to the latest version, upgraded an iPhone and my iPad to iOS 8.1 and jailbroke both devices. Now when I connect the two devices, the storage indicator bar in iTunes (the one that tells you that X GB of data is used by pictures, Y GB of data is used by apps, etc) is screwed up and tells me that I have 48GB free space (both devices are 64GB). On my iPad it initially displayed the correct amount of free space (about 6GB last night), but when I hit the sync button it suddenly claimed the 48GB again. I have another jailbroken iPhone that is still on iOS 7.06 where the data analysis/display is working.

Is anyone else seeing this as well?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is the data still on the iPad? The one thing that I'm not so fond of when it comes to iTunes is their method of syncing as I've never had any luck with it. But from experience, on several occasions, iTunes recognized that my device had plenty of free space, but on the device itself, the data that iTunes claims to not exist is still there, and in Usage, it shows the correct capacity used and remaining.

OP
Ulrich

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The data is there, and fully accessible. For example, I am using CineXPlayer to watch video on the iPad, and I have no problems loading files through iTunes and then playing them in the app. And checking on the Settings/General?usage tab on the iPad also gives me the correct amounts (38.5GB used, 17.1GB available).

It's just in iTunes on my computer where it seems screwed up.

OP
Ulrich

Ulrich

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On the flipside, in the past I have had instances where I deleted data on the iPad (e.g. video files after watching them with CinXPlayer) and iTunes did not recognize that the space was freed up on the device. But that's probably a different issue. ;)

Most reactions