What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freaky problem?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't see any reason for immediate panic. For the most part, this makes man in the middle attacks easier, where someone pretends to be your normal internet connection. As long as you are on your home network and have reasonable security settings it should not be an issue.

Now, if you are out and about using free unprotected wi-fi networks, then it's riskier. But it's not a new risk. It's never been a good idea to go to a sensitive website on an open wi-fi network. This vulnerability just make it a bit easier. When it works it does not remove encryption, but it does trick your system into using older less sophisticated encryption. Encryption that is possible to break without resorting to super computers.

It's unclear (to me) if this would affect VPN connections as well; the usual way of dealing with open networks and security. So even if you have a VPN you might want to avoid using open wi-fi until this is patched in Safari, or your VPN provider announces that they are not vulnerable.

Anyway, Apple said they will have a patch out within a week. That's pretty fast for them. They are obviously taking it seriously.

Of course, as the story progresses it may turn out I'm underacting.

OP
Bennettb

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you, Twerppoet. So I should just be careful when I'm in Starbucks, etc. got it, but I don't know what VPN is.

bobbi

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network across a public network, such as the Internet. It enables a computer or network-enabled device to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if it were directly connected to the private network, while benefiting from the functionality, security and management policies of the private network. -- Wikipedia

Think of it as stringing a virtual computer cable through the internet so that you are connected directly to another computer network, and no one can tap into that cable to see what you are doing. One major uses is to provide remote access to company networks, so employees can securely work on their stuff just as if they were in the office. The other is to create a secure connection to the internet via remote servers, bypassing a less secure local network.

OP
Bennettb

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. It's amazing what I learn on the forum. Even though I'm a quilt information and garden picture user, it's nice to have a bit of knowledge.

Most reactions