What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forgot PassCode, Which IOS do I have?

StevesApple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't want the latest firmware 5.1.1 on my IPAD. I need to know which ios I have so that I can restore to that. Anyway of knowing which IOS I have without unlocking the passcode? Any software that would get me that info?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
StevesApple said:
I don't want the latest firmware 5.1.1 on my IPAD. I need to know which ios I have so that I can restore to that. Anyway of knowing which IOS I have without unlocking the passcode? Any software that would get me that info?

Take a look at ibackupbot. I am unsure but it may be what you seek. Can't hurt to check it out I suppose. Good luck.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
StevesApple said:
Itunes won't even show the device unless I unlock the passcode. And I back up is for backing thigs up...

Ibackupbot does more. Allows access to the objects in the backup....and switch settings for pass code lock if I remember correctly. Again no expert but it does have additional functionality....google it.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, nothing is going to help you to get that pass code. Yes, iBackupBot is an awesome program to review your most recent backup, but it cannot tell you the pass code. That information is no where to be found.

However, iBackupBot CAN tell you what iOS version you are running. After you open it and select the backup (if it doesn't automatically open your backup), at the upper right hand side of the top window is a line titled "Product Version." The number listed there is the iOS that was running when that backup was made.

And, just a note: If you don't have SHSH blobs saved for any other iOS version than 5.1.1, then you won't be able to restore to that version. You will have to restore to iOS 5.1.1.

Marilyn

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Unfortunately, nothing is going to help you to get that pass code. Yes, iBackupBot is an awesome program to review your most recent backup, but it cannot tell you the pass code. That information is no where to be found.

However, iBackupBot CAN tell you what iOS version you are running. After you open it and select the backup (if it doesn't automatically open your backup), at the upper right hand side of the top window is a line titled "Product Version." The number listed there is the iOS that was running when that backup was made.

And, just a note: If you don't have SHSH blobs saved for any other iOS version than 5.1.1, then you won't be able to restore to that version. You will have to restore to iOS 5.1.1.

Marilyn

Thanks for clarification. I must be recalling something else that allowed one to change switch settings then restore and gain access.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The below seems to indicate a way to gain access. I just am unsure if ibackupbot can access a backup it did not create. If it can try the method below provided courtesy of user Revansitish at MacRumors. Good luck!

"I have found a way to change the restrictions without the code. I downloaded iBackupBot, which allows you to open and edit your backup files. Back up your iphone using itunes. Open the back up with ibackupBot and find library/configurationprofiles/usersettings.plist.

Double clicking this will open a window (click cancel if a registration window comes up). This lists all the restrictions on your device (eg allowitunes and allowappinstallation etc) followed by a value (true or false). Change the restrictions you want (on or off) by deleting the true/false and replacing it.

Also edit library/configurationprofiles/public info/effectiveusersettings.plist click save. Then restore your device from backup. It changes the settings without ever needing the passcode (which still won’t work). Hope this helps.

ps works on iOS 5.0.1, not jailbroken"

Revans – relieved user

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is only for the restrictions password, NOT the password you would enter at the lock screen. They are not the same, nor are they in the same area.

Yes, this method works for getting into and modifying the restrictions in Settings if you don't know the password. But, so far, no one has been able to figure out how to get into the iPad without a full if the lock screen pass code is not known. Apple's security is that good ...

Marilyn

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So you can't even open your iPad, slide to unlock? That is the password you have forgotten?
Something seems odd here?

cathy duncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ibackupbot does more. Allows access to the objects in the backup....and switch settings for pass code lock if I remember correctly. Again no expert but it does have additional functionality....google it.

Above one tip in quotes is more useful and applicable and I tried it myself when I had faced the same issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts