What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with wifi only versions of the ipad 2

Freshbru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Battery using hotspot

I have a Verizon iPhone 4, iPad 2, 32G, wifi only. I have not noticed any huge amount of excess battery drain using the hotspot. If I am lucky, I can get two days out of my iPhone before having to charge. Using the hotspot doesnt seem to eat into that. When I am using the hotspot, I do turn the brighness down on the phone to minimum. All in all, I have been very happy with the functionality, and ease of use of the Verizon hotspot feature for iPhone 4.

Hi guys,

I got a wifi only version for myself, as I am always in wifi areas, but am getting one for my dad, who would need some other connectivity sometimes at least.

How much does creating a wifi hotspot with your phone eat into battery life? Just dont want the hassle and cost of another connection for a 3g ipad.

ATC2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally decided to get the wifi only on the sentiment that I do not feel that I should have to pay for another data plan when I already have one that I use very little of. If ATT allowed for low data users to use their existing plan and charge for over use of data, then I would consider it. I also believe they would keep/attract more customers this way.
My iPad gets refreshed every evening at home with all the news, RSS, magazines, video cast, podcast or any other media that I consume during the day. If I need to connect to the interment while mobile I just use my phone like I was doing pre iPad.
iPad use is usually has a "sit down" to do stuff dynamic allowing for use of a hot spot if necessary.
However if you can afford the extra cost and your not sure if this approach would work for you then get a 3G, remember just because it is a 3G you don't need a plan, it can be used as just wifi and if you're not happy with that then you can get the plan later.

deepakvrao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Verizon iPhone 4, iPad 2, 32G, wifi only. I have not noticed any huge amount of excess battery drain using the hotspot. If I am lucky, I can get two days out of my iPhone before having to charge. Using the hotspot doesnt seem to eat into that. When I am using the hotspot, I do turn the brighness down on the phone to minimum. All in all, I have been very happy with the functionality, and ease of use of the Verizon hotspot feature for iPhone 4.

Thank. That helps. Will go for only wifi.

deepakvrao said:
Hi guys,

I got a wifi only version for myself, as I am always in wifi areas, but am getting one for my dad, who would need some other connectivity sometimes at least.

How much does creating a wifi hotspot with your phone eat into battery life? Just dont want the hassle and cost of another connection for a 3g ipad.

Depends on what he is tethering to..
Also, some phones/providers charge for tethering. For the same cost my wife just uses the smaller 3G plan on the iPad. Less hassle and no on/off tethering battery issues with her iPhone - which is a battery hog to begin with.

He has a LG android. No charges from the provider for tethering. Yet. How can they levy a charge? They won't even know about it. In India we buy handsets, and not bundled with plans. Is there any way they can stop tethering if they have no control on the handset?

deepakvrao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I personally decided to get the wifi only on the sentiment that I do not feel that I should have to pay for another data plan when I already have one that I use very little of. If ATT allowed for low data users to use their existing plan and charge for over use of data, then I would consider it. I also believe they would keep/attract more customers this way.
My iPad gets refreshed every evening at home with all the news, RSS, magazines, video cast, podcast or any other media that I consume during the day. If I need to connect to the interment while mobile I just use my phone like I was doing pre iPad.
iPad use is usually has a "sit down" to do stuff dynamic allowing for use of a hot spot if necessary.
However if you can afford the extra cost and your not sure if this approach would work for you then get a 3G, remember just because it is a 3G you don't need a plan, it can be used as just wifi and if you're not happy with that then you can get the plan later.

3G ipads have a month wait period :-( Another reason to go wifi only I guess.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
deepakvrao said:
He has a LG android. No charges from the provider for tethering. Yet. How can they levy a charge? They won't even know about it. In India we buy handsets, and not bundled with plans. Is there any way they can stop tethering if they have no control on the handset?

Can't comment on your area/plans and devices etc. Sounds like you may have less restrictions.

I'm only familiar with the Verizon and AT&T phones/provider.. With AT&T you have to activate tethering and they bill you for it. With Verizon I believe tethering is completely free and you just share your data amount/plan etc.

Cheers

katydid1952

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was excited to learn that i could use my iphone for a personal hotspot so I bought the ipad2 wifi. Unfortunately I didn't realize and nobody told me I would be sacrificing the gps. I drive alot and really miss that blue dot in maps! Personal hotspot works well but if I had to do it over again I'd get the 3G too.

Can someone tell me about the various options for getting gps? Thanks much.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was excited to learn that i could use my iphone for a personal hotspot so I bought the ipad2 wifi. Unfortunately I didn't realize and nobody told me I would be sacrificing the gps. I drive alot and really miss that blue dot in maps! Personal hotspot works well but if I had to do it over again I'd get the 3G too.

Have a look here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps/20237-gps-app-wifi-ipad.html

Tim

chelseaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Didnt go threw all the posts but just looked at the thread heading,

Hotspot works really well, no need to pay the xtra bunce and then get a sim and contract,
im on 02 and it works a treat.

If im out and about im only checking emails and having a browse for that its fine, otherwise anything heavy id always do it on wifi anyway.

piper77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mifi or personal hotspot ?

So I was wondering if any body else was feeling the same way I am about the wifi only, I am kinda kicking myself that I didn't spring for the 3G version because basically every app out there requires Internet. Also if anyone is using the hotspot feature on the iPhone 4 please let me know how you like it because I am considering this option.

I dont have a iphone and have ipad with only wifi too .

Looks like MIFI device is the cheapest option if you dont want iphone .

This mifi device can be pay- as -you go data plan. this costs nearly 65 pounds.

Cheers

The Kleaner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Work pays for my phone so I rooted my droid and piggyback off the wifi connection when I need an Internet connection.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
katydid1952 said:

When you use the hotspot on your iPhone with your iPad then you should be able to get GPS from it. That's one solution. Another is to buy a compatible external GPS device. You'll want to read up on which ones are compatible before buying it.

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The hotspot feature is especially worth it when you have multiple iPads and devices saves from have every iPad needing its own monthly charge saves you some quid!

Most reactions