What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with wifi only versions of the ipad 2

Sasha5113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reverse the concept, please. Is there any way a wifi+3G Verizon iPad2 can be used as a temporary hotspot? Hardware, software? I live in and travel to the boonies aforementioned.

r12rtpilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ridesroadsandeats.com
So I was wondering if any body else was feeling the same way I am about the wifi only, I am kinda kicking myself that I didn't spring for the 3G version because basically every app out there requires Internet. Also if anyone is using the hotspot feature on the iPhone 4 please let me know how you like it because I am considering this option.

I am laughing all the way to the bank...have a Droid X, so that satisfies my need for a 3G connection...besides wifi spots are a dime a dozen-no need for another data plan. Of course, YMMV!:D

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
r12rtpilot said:
I am laughing all the way to the bank...have a Droid X, so that satisfies my need for a 3G connection...besides wifi spots are a dime a dozen-no need for another data plan. Of course, YMMV!:D

The real question however still remains if you had no tethering options would a wifi only pad suffice? And if you had a 3G connection/capability prior could you do without it?

It's only obvious that near all of those with a tethering option/secondary 3G device would go wifi only.

I would like to see the stats of those either not wanting to tether or w/out a device capable of 3G/tethering that have purchased another iPad.
- IE - First iPad being wifi only or 3G... Did the second purchase/iPad upgrade have 3G or not?

Just curious

Cheers

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
The real question however still remains if you had no tethering options would a wifi only pad suffice? And if you had a 3G connection/capability prior could you do without it?

It's only obvious that near all of those with a tethering option/secondary 3G device would go wifi only.

I would like to see the stats of those either not wanting to tether or w/out a device capable of 3G/tethering that have purchased another iPad.
- IE - First iPad being wifi only or 3G... Did the second purchase/iPad upgrade have 3G or not?

Just curious

Cheers

3G all the way. They advantage of being connected everywhere is for me a big advantage. Many hotspots here still require a hotspot. My friend has a WiFi only IPad 1 and is going to trade it for a IPad 2 Wifi soon. My wife has a WiFi only, but that is just because we do not need 2 at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JJK said:
Many hotspots here still require a hotspot. My friend has a WiFi only IPad 1 and is going to trade it for a IPad 2 Wifi soon.

Hotspots require a hotspot? Also looks like your friend is upgrading from an iPad 1 to an iPad 2 Wi-Fi. So then 3G isn't needed by everybody. Depends on your area and the places you frequent. I dont have tethering and I have a wifi only iPad and I get along just fine.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GlenL said:
Depends on your area and the places you frequent. I dont have tethering and I have a wifi only iPad and I get along just fine.

Completely agree,
My first iPad was a 16/wifi. Home, motel/hotels, coffee shops etc all free wifi for the most part and all was swell. Second iPad was a 32/3G. I had some idea of how/when I could utilize the 3G yet can literally state it increased my iPad use for business and pleasure three fold. The 16 initially went to the wife who after using it for a few months then took my 3G to work "one" day,,,, she's a director within the county ISD and is constantly traversing the county using the pad for school stats and trending,, she wanted and grabbed a 3G version immediately. She also has an iPhone4 yet didn't want to bother with tethering due to additional battery drain - she kills it with voice quick enough.. :)

Its a superb/fun/productive device in either configuration!

Cheers

Freshbru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Verizon iPhone 4 w/ wifi only iPad 2 is a perfect combination. I had at@t IPhone 3 and ipad1 w/ wifi and AT&T 3G and hated it. Phone bill averaged almost 200 per month. Separate data plan was an additional monthly payment. Switched to Verizon when they got the iPhone. Sold the iPad 1 got a 32 gig iPad 2, wifi only Any time I don't have a wifi connection, I use the very easy to use hotspot on Verizon i phone. I have had it for a few months. No extra data plan. Phone bills under 100 bucks/ month. I love it.

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GlenL said:
Hotspots require a hotspot? Also looks like your friend is upgrading from an iPad 1 to an iPad 2 Wi-Fi. So then 3G isn't needed by everybody. Depends on your area and the places you frequent. I dont have tethering and I have a wifi only iPad and I get along just fine.

Sorry, mean to say he is upgrading to an iPad2 3G.

Yes these are owned most of the time to a mobile operator. If you do not have an account with them you can not access. In that case you have to be near a Mc Do.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Sharkbait

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I could only afford a 16Gb without 3g but I do have a [very wonderful] Mifi from 3 here in the UK.
This allows me to get mobile broadband most places in the UK for very little money (about £10 for 3Gb) and the unit allows up to 5 devices to connect via wifi simultaneously so it works for our laptops as well.
Plus there's loads of hotspots around now so not missing built in 3g at all.

autophone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am fine with my wifi only iPad but I know it might be a problem once the iMessage is available so if you have not bought an iPad you might wanna consider getting the 3G version as well.

scubadiver12165

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GlenL said:

I second that. I have a 32 gb wifi only ipad2 and I'm happy with it. I use it for both work and personal and find that I don't need a 3G version nor do i need to get a tethering plan. Most places I go to have wifi, and if need to, I ask for permission to connect the iPad to their secured wifi.

sunny day

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the wifi version only because I do not need another bill. I do not have a smart phone. Cell phone service is not available in our house because of the metal roof. The only thing I use it for when not at home is to play games or read.

deepakvrao

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got a wifi only version for myself, as I am always in wifi areas, but am getting one for my dad, who would need some other connectivity sometimes at least.

How much does creating a wifi hotspot with your phone eat into battery life? Just dont want the hassle and cost of another connection for a 3g ipad.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
deepakvrao said:
Hi guys,

I got a wifi only version for myself, as I am always in wifi areas, but am getting one for my dad, who would need some other connectivity sometimes at least.

How much does creating a wifi hotspot with your phone eat into battery life? Just dont want the hassle and cost of another connection for a 3g ipad.

Depends on what he is tethering to..
Also, some phones/providers charge for tethering. For the same cost my wife just uses the smaller 3G plan on the iPad. Less hassle and no on/off tethering battery issues with her iPhone - which is a battery hog to begin with.

Most reactions

Latest posts