What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with wifi only versions of the ipad 2

DJennings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
NEVER considered the 3G w/ wifi because AT&T gets enough of my money every month with my iPhone :) Wifi in my home, at school, & a few of my fav hangouts....for any place else, I'm using Verizon Fivespot.....$35/mo for 3GB....totally worth it.......have never come close to using the 3gigs, & I do ALOT of streaming.....Netflix, Hulu, Splashtop Remote for viewing flash sights, etc.....will always stick with wifi only iPad :)

1million

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't need another contract. So that's the main reason I chose the WFi model. If I'm out and the location doesn't offer free WIFi then I'll tether my HTC G2 to get Internet.

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WiFi only. Did not need another monthly bill for something I would rarely if ever need.

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went with the Verizon 3G/wifi because at work alot of websites are blocked that I use for work. even the apple store is blocked. ATT in Maine is a joke when it comes to voice access 3G is even worse.

I was thinking the wifi only model and tether with my Droid but I really like having the GPS and according to three separate verizon reps I don't have to be in a contract for the data and there is no fee for not continuing month to month

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dabears said:
I experienced both wifi and 3G. My first iPad was wifi and this time I thought I try iPad 2 with 3G instead. The experience for me has been great with 3G because one, I can always turn on my 3G when I'm out with my iPad. Even though I have a jailbroken iPhone 4, with miwi app for tethering, I much prefer the convenience of having 3G. I don't have to have my iphone all time to get connected. I use mywi for emergency or FaceTime when I need to be connected to wifi when wifi is not available. I know this not for everyone but I'm just sharing the experience with you all.

Thanks for sharing your experience with both wifi only and 3G iPads.
I'm desperately waiting for the jailbreak for my iPad 2 to be released so I can use my iPhone 4's 3G network tethered onto my iPad 2 via mywi on demand. (this is my first iOS device I other than an iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4)
How much does mywi on demand affect the iPhone 4's battery life?

No problem. I went through the same dilemma about what to choose between wifi vs 3G at least this time around. In my own opinion, why not go to fullest instead of going halfway by not going with 3G capability iPad? You are almost there. Again that is my choice and others may have different opinion on that. That is like buying a mini cooper. Why not go for the Cooper S instead of just regular Cooper, again that's just me.

In regards to your tethering with iPhone 4 to iPad 2, you don't have to jailbreak your iPad 2. Just your jailbreak your iPhone 4 will do the job. Then purchase the miwi for one time fee of 20.00. Mywi app has updated their application that it can less consumed battery and you just have to set that in the setting. I love that app.

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the wifi 3G my bill is the same as I get 15% off of my AT&T bill. Due to military discount. I set up before I purchased the iPad. So I'm good To go anywhere I travel.

mhayslip

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't need the 3G version either as I have WiFi at all my work locations and at home. If I am travelling, the hotels I stay in have free WiFi. If I need internet while out and about where there is no WiFi, I just use my iPhone 4 to access the 3G, or Edge, network. All-in-all, I am saving money, which is a good thing.

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Catfiend said:
Wifi only is fine for me. I don't do much traveling at the moment and even when I was most hotels had free wifi available. If I started to consistently find myself without I'd probably opt for an inexpensive smartphone with tethering, using a prepaid data heavy plan since I don't spend much time actually talking on a phone. I do wish the wifi version had GPS, though.

No gps, but honestly I have not missed it! The location system used with MAPS functions perfectly.

wclyffe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Enkay said:
As others have said, the WiFi hotspot feature on my phone makes more sense than spending the extra cash.

Absolutely!! My last iPad was a 3G version and it never really paid off as it cost $130 plus tax more than the Wifi version and $25/month to use it. Now I can save the extra cost and turn on Personal Hotspot for an additional $20/month!

Breitling65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I was wondering if any body else was feeling the same way I am about the wifi only, I am kinda kicking myself that I didn't spring for the 3G version because basically every app out there requires Internet. Also if anyone is using the hotspot feature on the iPhone 4 please let me know how you like it because I am considering this option.

I am using hotspot from iphone4/AT&T. No difference.

OP
M

Mklooster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dorje said:
University or grade school? Do other students use personal laptops on the network?

Grade school...we did hack the password for a few months and then so many people new it that they changed the password so it looks like I'm in trouble until we find a way around it again :)

Vonbonds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just added another Wifi only iPad to my stable (64gb black in addition to a 32gb iPad 1). I have a Verizon Mifi card for work so I get online with that. Even if I didn't have it I wouldn't sweat it...I have no need for extra bills :).

iceman72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 32g wifi only and I am 100% glad I did not get a 3G version. I rooted my sprint evo and use the tethering software and it's beautiful! I can't even tell that it's not plugged directly into a router (as if that was possible) but it's that fast!

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 64gb iPad and would spend the extra dough for the 3G, just for the GPS. Did not think it was needed but after a month with Verizon iPhone it will be on my next iPad.

Shellready

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a wifi only iPad 2 and I love it. When I need 3G i tether with my iPhone 4. I read some users say the GPS is a big deal. What apps are people using where u need the gps?

Most reactions