What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those with wifi only versions of the ipad 2

Mklooster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I was wondering if any body else was feeling the same way I am about the wifi only, I am kinda kicking myself that I didn't spring for the 3G version because basically every app out there requires Internet. Also if anyone is using the hotspot feature on the iPhone 4 please let me know how you like it because I am considering this option.

jamesmckeephx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hotspot is cheaper than doing a contract. Iam Doing it with my evo on sprint with my ipad 2 wifi

Sent from my evo on tapatalk

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm almost never off a Wifi network. Home, work, hangouts. Ive been just fine with my iPod this long I see no issues a 3G or even 4G Wifi hotspot won't fix. That way I'm also not locked into a radio type GSM/CDMA. The only thing I do miss is the GPS, but I also wish Apple would put in the bloody code to link with better quality external GPS units.

Petersenjp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi has been fine for me. I figured if I ever need it, tether my phone up, or get a mifi. (Probably wont ever happen, but if it does :) )

OP
M

Mklooster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the hotspot data plan is a two year contract or a month by month deal

dabears

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I experienced both wifi and 3G. My first iPad was wifi and this time I thought I try iPad 2 with 3G instead. The experience for me has been great with 3G because one, I can always turn on my 3G when I'm out with my iPad. Even though I have a jailbroken iPhone 4, with miwi app for tethering, I much prefer the convenience of having 3G. I don't have to have my iphone all time to get connected. I use mywi for emergency or FaceTime when I need to be connected to wifi when wifi is not available. I know this not for everyone but I'm just sharing the experience with you all.

Last edited:

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I was wondering if any body else was feeling the same way I am about the wifi only, I am kinda kicking myself that I didn't spring for the 3G version because basically every app out there requires Internet. Also if anyone is using the hotspot feature on the iPhone 4 please let me know how you like it because I am considering this option.

Your battery will last longer than with the 3G models.

1. Is Wi-Fi available at or near home? where you are most of the time? etc.

2. If you have Verizon for example ... they offer Mi-Fi ... 2 year contract ... costs you $50 per month for 5 GB total data transfer per month. It is the same if you had their 3G model. It depends on your service contract. There may be a cost for the device. I paid $100 2 years ago. That is $30 less than the 3G model of ipad2.

3. Sprint has something similar ... Verizon in general has better coverage ... but it depends where you live and operate.

4. You might be able to setup a tethering arrangement with a phone.

I didn't want 3g because in two years 4G will be prevelent. Speeds will be higher. Talk with your carrier and let them help you.

Last edited:

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't see which version you have, AT&T or Verizon

contact them but there is no contract beyond a month necessary for the mobile hotspot on your AT&T iPhone. $45 for 4 gigabytes. Your options are pretty much limited to those two carriers for an iPhone hotspot.

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi only is good enough for me, especially after they enabled hotspot feature. The reason that finally pushed me to wifi only was when GPS data from iPhone hotspot was transferred to iPad (although havent personally tested yet).

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wifi only is fine for me. I don't do much traveling at the moment and even when I was most hotels had free wifi available. If I started to consistently find myself without I'd probably opt for an inexpensive smartphone with tethering, using a prepaid data heavy plan since I don't spend much time actually talking on a phone. I do wish the wifi version had GPS, though.

OP
M

Mklooster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
Your battery will last longer than with the 3G models.

1. Is Wi-Fi available at or near home? where you are most of the time? etc.

2. If you have Verizon for example ... they offer Mi-Fi ... 2 year contract ... costs you $50 per month for 5 GB total data transfer per month. It is the same if you had their 3G model. It depends on your service contract. There may be a cost for the device. I paid $100 2 years ago. That is $30 less than the 3G model of ipad2.

3. Sprint has something similar ... Verizon in general has better coverage ... but it depends where you live and operate.

4. You might be able to setup a tethering arrangement with a phone.

I didn't want 3g because in two years 4G will be prevelent. Speeds will be higher. Talk with your carrier and let them help you.

Yes I do have wifi at my house but a lot of the time I am at my school where the wifi network is conveniently locked with w password. I have AT&T and the hotspot is 20$ a month for two extra gb of data but I have unlimited data for my phone so I don't think I could go over.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
University or grade school? Do other students use personal laptops on the network?

Enkay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As others have said, the WiFi hotspot feature on my phone makes more sense than spending the extra cash.

NVRENUF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got wifi only becuase the iphone 4 latest update allows teathering. So if i need 3g I just share from my phone. No way i was going to pay for another data plan just for ipad.

mikesong0323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dabears said:
I experienced both wifi and 3G. My first iPad was wifi and this time I thought I try iPad 2 with 3G instead. The experience for me has been great with 3G because one, I can always turn on my 3G when I'm out with my iPad. Even though I have a jailbroken iPhone 4, with miwi app for tethering, I much prefer the convenience of having 3G. I don't have to have my iphone all time to get connected. I use mywi for emergency or FaceTime when I need to be connected to wifi when wifi is not available. I know this not for everyone but I'm just sharing the experience with you all.

Thanks for sharing your experience with both wifi only and 3G iPads.
I'm desperately waiting for the jailbreak for my iPad 2 to be released so I can use my iPhone 4's 3G network tethered onto my iPad 2 via mywi on demand. (this is my first iOS device I other than an iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4)
How much does mywi on demand affect the iPhone 4's battery life?

Most reactions

Latest posts