What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food anyone?

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey Mydave - are you referring to the 'frog legs' dish I posted? If so, the restaurant is my house and the chef is my wife (NCSue here) - ;)

In Winston-Salem, there is a local seafood place (called Sea Products) - rarely, the owner has frozen frog legs - she just sauté the legs w/ oil, fresh garlic, and lemon (may have first dipped them in flour?) - a little 'hotness' would be nice along w/ a herb or two? Dave :)
Thanks for the info. It's surely is the BEST restaurant in the world : Home Cook.:)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
LOL, we LOVE frog legs :). Do you have the name and address of that restaurant ? Perhaps we would stop by next time we visit our loved ones in NC. We have not had frog legs for a long time, 15 - 20 years. Most places would serve them fried which we don't like. The only place that we found to be the best, was a Chinese restaurant in Nashville, Tenn. They served them in sauce, similar to pot roast in most restaurants or buffets. The meat was juicy and most delicious. Since then, we lost the address and have not been able to find it when we visited the town later one.
If anyone happens to know the restaurant, please let us know. ;)

In the mean time, I'd like to introduce everyone to our favorite. This is home grown and home cook.
Bitter Melon
My wife simply stuffs them with ground pork then cooks in beef broth.
This would require an acquired taste to enjoy. But there are several other benefits:
. Bitter melon serves a nutritional punch, offering iron, twice the beta carotene of broccoli, twice the potassium of bananas, and twice the calcium of spinach. It also contains high amounts of fiber, phosphorous, and Vitamins C, B1, B2, and B3. Source: http://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-bitter-melon/.
. It is a very effective method for controlling blood sugar.
. They are easy to grow. We grow them along the fence.

View attachment 58099

. Fruits are ready within 2 months. We have them from June thru Oct
View attachment 58100
This one is 1 1/2 lbs

View attachment 58101
Normally, twice a week harvest.
Mydave--it's not often that I see someone comment on bitter melon since it is an Asian vegetable. My parents cook it all the time-stir frying it with pork/shrimp/onions and eaten as a main dish with jasmine rice or as a side. I also eat/cook with it too.

My dad also grows bitter melon in his garden, though this year he didn't have time. They grow so odd that you have to create a high fencing to allow it to dangle.

Fortunately, I can pick up bitter melon at our local international market. It is an acquired taste, but is very good and healthy! :)

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
off to the local pub tonight and really looking forward to a big piece of steak. Yes, I know, boring choice but I don't get steak that often. I might have some red wine and then an ice-cream sundae for afters! With the lovely weather we have had lately, it has been salad, salad, salad... I'd better go get dressed!

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't have steak in the end. I had a lamb shank with rosemary and red wine gravy, mashed potato and vegetables. I had the double choc sundae to finish. Very nice and the company was great.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't have steak in the end. I had a lamb shank with rosemary and red wine gravy, mashed potato and vegetables. I had the double choc sundae to finish. Very nice and the company was great.

Sounds delish! Never had lamb shank, but Hayles you would love the beef tenderloins at Mitchell's-where we ate. Quite flavorful and so tender! :)

I took my husband and my SIL out to dinner last Tuesday and I had sautéed Perch, redskin pots, and grilled veggies!

It was their bday, so we had upside down pineapple cake with vanilla ice cream! It was all yummy!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love lamb shanks....the meat just falls off the bone....very nice!

Especially with mash!

And now I'm going to be naughty! :p

image.jpg

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love lamb shanks....the meat just falls off the bone....very nice!

Especially with mash!

And now I'm going to be naughty! :p

View attachment 58263
I love lamb shanks cooked slow for mouth watering tenderness, and the way you had that Hayley would be perfection :)
And now have to put that out of my mind, an hour yet to dinner. (a casserole done in a pressure cooker with vegies...yesss:p)
...Edit: oops, lost the multi quote by not tapping on "Insert Quotes" button. Need more practice as that's a good feature of this new software. ALSO love your new avatar Hayley!
Andrew

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Susan & I just returned from the Finger Lakes area of New York State - I'll be starting a travelogue for those interested in unique natural beauty & in wine!

But the one minor disappointment was the food (a common complaint from visitors to the area) - two lunches stand out (and one was in the Philadelphia airport on our way home). At the Glenora Winery on Seneca Lake (west shore) we shared a wonderful caesar salad and a delicious smoked salmon BLT - the fish was smoked on premises - had wines made on the property and a gorgeous view of the lake (have a couple of pics in the upcoming thread),

In the Philly airport, there is a branch of Legal Seafoods - we've eaten at many of their restaurants over the years (most in New England and along the east coast USA) - shared a half dozen oysters and clams on the half shell (clams were Little Necks & Cherrystones) - superb w/ the clams having that wonderful ocean flavor; THEN, we usually share a lobster roll but decided this would be an early dinner, so ordered one each - below a pic from the web - bun was soft buttered and toasted on the grill & the lobster was abundant - GREAT ending to a delightful trip. Dave :)

tumblr_lrahd0UjJ01qhj54yo1_500.jpg

OP
Hayles66

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hee hee. I love it too, OB! That lamb was delicious. Hmmm? Off out tomorrow as well. What should I go for this time?

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Susan & I just returned from the Finger Lakes area of New York State - I'll be starting a travelogue for those interested in unique natural beauty & in wine!

But the one minor disappointment was the food (a common complaint from visitors to the area) - two lunches stand out (and one was in the Philadelphia airport on our way home). At the Glenora Winery on Seneca Lake (west shore) we shared a wonderful caesar salad and a delicious smoked salmon BLT - the fish was smoked on premises - had wines made on the property and a gorgeous view of the lake (have a couple of pics in the upcoming thread),

In the Philly airport, there is a branch of Legal Seafoods - we've eaten at many of their restaurants over the years (most in New England and along the east coast USA) - shared a half dozen oysters and clams on the half shell (clams were Little Necks & Cherrystones) - superb w/ the clams having that wonderful ocean flavor; THEN, we usually share a lobster roll but decided this would be an early dinner, so ordered one each - below a pic from the web - bun was soft buttered and toasted on the grill & the lobster was abundant - GREAT ending to a delightful trip. Dave :)

tumblr_lrahd0UjJ01qhj54yo1_500.jpg
Ironic that our best meal was in an airport terminal, but the Legal Seafood lobster rolls are consistently excellent, as are the fries.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Celebration! Our 44th Wedding Anniversary is today! :eek: ;)

We often plan a trip to the mountains or do an 'overnight' in Greensboro at the O'Henry Hotel (beautiful place) and eat at their restaurant, the Green Valley Grill (one of the best combos in the Triad, i.e. Winston-Salem, Greensboro, & High Point).

We went yesterday and just returned today - below a few pics of the hotel & restaurant which has a Tuscan decor and a Mediterranean-Near Eastern menu emphasis. Susan had a delicious ribeye steak (medium rare) w/ mashed potatoes & mixed veggies. I'm a long-time fan of WHOLE fishes, and this is one of the few restaurants in our area that offer that treat - last night, they had a roasted whole striped bass w/ a tzatziki-fetta cheese sauce, roasted herbed potatoes, and spinach - I simply combined the latter w/ the sauce (quite tasty); prefer to have a whole fish 'unadorned' - the meat was moist and tender - delicious.

For dessert, we always share the frozen Nutty Irishman - chocolate cake layered w/ Bailey's Irish Cream mousse w/ crushed English toffee and finished w/ crème anglaise & chocolate sauce - when we share desserts (nearly always now), I usually take just a bite or two, BUT for the Nutty Irishman, I insist on an even split! :) Dave
exterior8.jpg
diningroom2.jpg
StripedBass.JPG
NuttyIrishman.JPG

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All the food is good there, but the Nutty Irishman is outstanding. Happy anniversary, sweetie! (Pun not intended)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

We often plan a trip to the mountains or do an 'overnight' in Greensboro at the O'Henry Hotel (beautiful place) and eat at their restaurant, the Green Valley Grill (one of the best combos in the Triad, i.e. Winston-Salem, Greensboro, & High Point).

We went yesterday and just returned today - below a few pics of the hotel & restaurant which has a Tuscan decor and a Mediterranean-Near Eastern menu emphasis. Susan had a delicious ribeye steak (medium rare) w/ mashed potatoes & mixed veggies. I'm a long-time fan of WHOLE fishes, and this is one of the few restaurants in our area that offer that treat - last night, they had a roasted whole striped bass w/ a tzatziki-fetta cheese sauce, roasted herbed potatoes, and spinach - I simply combined the latter w/ the sauce (quite tasty); prefer to have a whole fish 'unadorned' - the meat was moist and tender - delicious.

For dessert, we always share the frozen Nutty Irishman - chocolate cake layered w/ Bailey's Irish Cream mousse w/ crushed English toffee and finished w/ crème anglaise & chocolate sauce - when we share desserts (nearly always now), I usually take just a bite or two, BUT for the Nutty Irishman, I insist on an even split! :) Dave
View attachment 58571 View attachment 58572 View attachment 58573 View attachment 58574
What a wonderful location for an anniversary dinner! Congratulations on your wedding anniversary.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 58571 View attachment 58572 View attachment 58573 View attachment 58574

Happy Anniversary to you two! Food looks relish!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What a wonderful location for an anniversary dinner! Congratulations on your wedding anniversary.

Happy Anniversary to you two! Food looks relish!

Thanks for the 'congrats' - hard to believe where the time has gone - and SO many trips & eats along the way - a pic of us below on our wedding day exactly 44 yrs ago (ceremony in West Orange, NJ - honeymoon, a week in Bermuda) - Dave :)
SueDave_WedDay.jpg

Most reactions