What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food anyone?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I put raisins in my salad. Is this popular, or am I just weird? I've been accused of the latter.

Not at all, when making salads @ home, I like diversity in tastes & textures, so will usually start w/ some mixed greens, add some fruit (mandarin oranges a fav), some chopped walnuts, and bleu cheese crumbles along a little low-cal raspberry vinaigrette - other options depending on what is available might be dried fruits, such as cranberries, small tomatoes, etc. Dave :)

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not at all, when making salads @ home, I like diversity in tastes & textures, so will usually start w/ some mixed greens, add some fruit (mandarin oranges a fav), some chopped walnuts, and bleu cheese crumbles along a little low-cal raspberry vinaigrette - other options depending on what is available might be dried fruits, such as cranberries, small tomatoes, etc. Dave :)

That's quite close to what I normally make, minus the bleu cheese. I love vinaigrette dressing - especially balsamic italian. Oh, and croutons are a necessity!

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's quite close to what I normally make, minus the bleu cheese. I love vinaigrette dressing - especially balsamic italian. Oh, and croutons are a necessity!

I like the dressing below - nice berry taste, no fat, and about 20 cals/serving (I usually use half of the amount) - love fresh made croutons (usually only a restaurant choice) so often not an option @ home, but I'm LOL! :)

When our son was growing up, we encouraged him to eat more veggies, fruits & salads (now this is 30 years ago) - well, he got onto salads, but he would basically make a crouton salad, i.e. like a bowl of cereal w/ a few strands of lettuce (plus he never like dressing - did talk him into lemon wedges) - when we visit and go out to eat, he still wants extra croutons! Dave

large_thumb.JPG

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tonight's dessert for our guests

A chocolate swirl baked cheesecake

View attachment 54977

That looks seriously good...I wish the cheesecake were real on my end!! Beautifully done, Leelai!

Well, we did our bi-monthly visit to Costco - last night I steamed up some Dungeness Crabs for us - just a pic below of that animal up close - :) Now these come pre-cooked, so could just thaw & eat, but I like to steam them for about 12 minutes & just let them cool for about a half hour - delicious!

Tonight, my first grilling task for the new year - Australian Lamb Chops - simple recipe (marinade of olive oil, fresh-squeezed lemon juice, salt & pepper, and Herbs de Province) - I let the chops sit in the frig for about an hour and then warm up to room temp; some of the marinade is reserved for basting the chops while on the grill - high heat and about 4-5 minutes per side for medium - just had a salad + a Pinot Noir for me (La Crema, California) - next weekend will be Beer Can Chicken! ​Dave :)
View attachment 55105View attachment 55106

Looks delish, Giradman! Looks grilled to perfection...and with my fav bottle of wine: La Crema! :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That looks seriously good...I wish the cheesecake were real on my end!! Beautifully done, Leelai!

Looks delish, Giradman! Looks grilled to perfection...and with my fav bottle of wine: La Crema! :)

Hi Ski... - the lamb chops were perfect w/ that preparation & on the grill - the Pinot Noir an excellent companion - ;)

Next weekend, I think Suenc wants my 'Beer Can Chicken' - pic below from last year - now the first time made, I knocked over that unstable can - so bought an inexpensive stainless steel rack from Amazon (below) that will take two cans and is VERY stable - now this recipe involves getting a 'dry rub' under the skin of the breast & leg meat which makes for a favorable & juicy bird - delicious! I'll be glad to post the recipe for those interested? Dave

BeerCanChicken2.jpg41joyqtTtXL.jpg

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Lol......you know I didn't even get to taste it but then someone else bought a Key Lime Pie and I couldn't resist!

Great trade off I thought! ;)

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I put raisins in my salad. Is this popular, or am I just weird? I've been accused of the latter.

I make a salad with arugula, ( rocket to some people), baby spinach,frisée and radicchio. I then throw in golden raisins, Gorgonzola cheese and sesame sticks and candied walnuts. I dress it with a vinaigrette. The raisins and walnuts counter the sharpness of the dressing.

☮♥

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ski... - the lamb chops were perfect w/ that preparation & on the grill - the Pinot Noir an excellent companion - ;)

Next weekend, I think Suenc wants my 'Beer Can Chicken' - pic below from last year - now the first time made, I knocked over that unstable can - so bought an inexpensive stainless steel rack from Amazon (below) that will take two cans and is VERY stable - now this recipe involves getting a 'dry rub' under the skin of the breast & leg meat which makes for a favorable & juicy bird - delicious! I'll be glad to post the recipe for those interested? Dave

View attachment 55174View attachment 55175

Yes, I have one of those beer holders for cooking chicken. It turns out delicious--I like 7-up the best with the lemon lime flavor! Haven't grilled it, only baked it. I'll have to try it this summer out on the grill.

Lol......you know I didn't even get to taste it but then someone else bought a Key Lime Pie and I couldn't resist!

Great trade off I thought! ;)

Oh, I love Key Lime Pie myself. I have a simple version I make every once in a while. There is a restaurant on the Disney property called, "Olivia's" that serves the best key lime pie. I so cannot wait for my Disney trip to have some!!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes, I have one of those beer holders for cooking chicken. It turns out delicious--I like 7-up the best with the lemon lime flavor! Haven't grilled it, only baked it. I'll have to try it this summer out on the grill.

Oh, I love Key Lime Pie myself. I have a simple version I make every once in a while. There is a restaurant on the Disney property called, "Olivia's" that serves the best key lime pie. I so cannot wait for my Disney trip to have some!!

Hi Ski... - yes, those can holders are great! Don't think that using beer makes much of a difference - I'm going to try adding 'stuff' to a can of lemon drink (just have a bunch in the basement fridge) that might be more flavorful - like a bay leaf and other 'things'?

Key Lime Pie - a fav of mine for decades! Of course, if you are in the Florida Keys where real small 'key limes' may be used, then an experience; however, I must say that the BEST key lime pies that I've eaten have been in Charleston, SC (a place that we just visited) - years ago we took our young son to Poogan's Porch, just off Meeting Street and he was not into desserts (i.e. NOT familiar to him), so I talked him into their KL pie - he LOVED it and often still orders key lime pie for a dessert. Probably one of the best KL pies that I've had in that town (which includes MANY) was at SNOBS - have not been back in a while, but my wife did not want dessert but after one bite she ordered one for herself - the tartness combined w/ a red berry sauce (probably raspberry) was just astounding - if you ever get to Charleston, then you'll likely enjoy that dessert there! Dave :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ski... - yes, those can holders are great! Don't think that using beer makes much of a difference - I'm going to try adding 'stuff' to a can of lemon drink (just have a bunch in the basement fridge) that might be more flavorful - like a bay leaf and other 'things'? Key Lime Pie - a fav of mine for decades! Of course, if you are in the Florida Keys where real small 'key limes' may be used, then an experience; however, I must say that the BEST key lime pies that I've eaten have been in Charleston, SC (a place that we just visited) - years ago we took our young son to Poogan's Porch, just off Meeting Street and he was not into desserts (i.e. NOT familiar to him), so I talked him into their KL pie - he LOVED it and often still orders key lime pie for a dessert. Probably one of the best KL pies that I've had in that town (which includes MANY) was at SNOBS - have not been back in a while, but my wife did not want dessert but after one bite she ordered one for herself - the tartness combined w/ a red berry sauce (probably raspberry) was just astounding - if you ever get to Charleston, then you'll likely enjoy that dessert there! Dave :)

Hi Dave-thank you for the recommendations for great Key Lime Pies. Just love how refreshing it tastes. I love the tartness along with the sweet crust-just a perfect combination. I have never had it drizzled with raspberry sauce, but sounds extra delicious. We are heading to Disney this summer-so I hope to try some fantastic desserts while down there! I'll certainly take some pics of those when they come.

The beer in the chick...I haven't used beer in mine yet. Just thought either a cola or a lime pop would be good. Great idea on adding a bay leaf or so for Extra goodness! :)

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It’s time for lunch and I’m making one of my favorite meals; a salad. Three different types of lettuce, grape tomatoes, raisins, croutons, and two different types of salad dressing – I use small amounts of ranch dressing and balsamic vinaigrette. Result, a delicious and healthy meal. This is one of the things that has helped me to lose over 100 pounds.

Attachments

• salad.jpg
    salad.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 169

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It’s time for lunch and I’m making one of my favorite meals; a salad. Three different types of lettuce, grape tomatoes, raisins, croutons, and two different types of salad dressing – I use small amounts of ranch dressing and balsamic vinaigrette. Result, a delicious and healthy meal. This is one of the things that has helped me to lose over 100 pounds.

That looks great (and much healthier than the pulled pork, ribs and green chili-Mac I had for lunch).

MadChef

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just took this fresh Pineapple Upside Down Cake out of the oven. I'm having it for for Easter dinner dessert. ☮♥

Attachments

• image-3279303839.jpg
    image-3279303839.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 155

Most reactions

Latest posts