What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First video Skype call"

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
.....and it was a bust :(.
Called my daughter who lives in Mexico connected, saw them but iPad kept saying "initializing video" over and over and would not open up. Any idea what I did wrong? Always works with iPhone, and MacBook.
Actually was a little embarrassing since I had been pimping my IP3 constantly with her.
Looking for a little advice.
Thanks.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
.....and it was a bust :(.
Called my daughter who lives in Mexico connected, saw them but iPad kept saying "initializing video" over and over and would not open up. Any idea what I did wrong? Always works with iPhone, and MacBook.
Actually was a little embarrassing since I had been pimping my IP3 constantly with her.
Looking for a little advice.
Thanks.

Have you tried power cycling the iPad and trying again. If this fails, try removing Skype from your iPad and then reinstalling it.

OP
R

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I did was checked the app store for Skype.
Clicked on it and it did NOT say that I had installed.
So I loaded it again and deleted the old Skype. Then tried Skye again no good. However, funny thing is if the other person call me, everything works!
Do you have an iPad 3 and are you successful?
Thanks.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have only used Skype once on the iPad 3 to help someone troubleshoot Skype on their TV and it worked perfectly fine with both video and audio.

Just did a quick Google search and this seems to have been a common issue with the iPad but I haven't experienced it before.

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure how to help with your issue, however, with my iPad 3 running 5.1.1 I have had no issues whatsoever with Skype. In fact, it seems to work better than on my wife's Asus Transformer and the quality is really good to the point where I don't bother using the computer for it anymore.

Only non-Skype related gripe is the camera position. I generally always use Skype in landscape mode and with the camera being on top in portrait mode, the angle is somewhat strange so that as you look at the screen, the person you call perceives you as looking away from them. Minor issue though, as most of the time I'm chasing my daughter with the front facing camera so my parents can see her. :)

Hope you got your Skype issues resolved!

Bad Raven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue, and was searching for help, just set up Skype on a windows laptop and on iPAD3. Laptop works perfectly, video and sound from iPAD, and own video in small window as expected, but on iPAD after call connects it sits on "initialising video" so sound only working.

Bad Raven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the same issue, and was searching for help, just set up Skype on a windows laptop and on iPAD3. Laptop works perfectly, video and sound from iPAD, and own video in small window as expected, but on iPAD after call connects it sits on "initialising video" so sound only working.

Tried no end of times last night, even going right out to power shutdown, but every time the iPad ended with "initialising video" and waiting ages still sat like that. It then worked only for audio at the iPad end, this for receiving or sending a call.

HOWEVER, got up this morning, went to try to track it further, and IT ALL WORKS!! (having done nothing different to last night!!)

Most reactions

Latest posts