What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First question....

banjaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good morning everyone. this 61 year old grandfather from Canada has just entered the 21st century....Got myself a brand new Ipad 1, it was a freebie given to my daughter and she has an Ipad 3 so I got this brand new unit and I absolutely love it!!!! Its the best device I have ever had in my hands. I presently have a Blackberry phone but when my contract is up, I'm getting the Iphone....
Anyway, here is my question. I am having trouble sending emails form it. I receive them no problem but I cant send with one of my accounts. My Hotmail account works great but my main home email addy wont send. I get the message "A copy has been placed in your outbox. The address... was rejected by the server"
Please guys and gals, go gently with this old fart, I'm not really very computer smart, so type slowly using small words lol!!! Thanks in advance....

[Moderator edit: E-mail address removed as a safety measure]

Last edited by a moderator:

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there! Glad to hear you're enjoying your gift I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment from it. I'm not an expert on the email app so I can't give you much advice but it is worth checking your outgoing mail server info is correct. If you don't know this information you should be able to find it out by ringing up your email provider and they should be able to let you know what to do. If you do know your outgoing mail server info or have found it out do as follows.
Go into the settings app.
Tap 'mail, contacts, calendars' bar on the right hand side.
Now tap the account you are having problems with.
A pop up box should appear which has your Email info in it.
Scroll down this box till you reach 'outgoing mail server'.
Tap the box below this heading and then tap the box beneath 'primary server'.
Check this server is on and then make sure any info in there is correct.
If anything is missing or you think it might be incorrect I can give you some pointers: (I've hidden some stuff for privacy :) )
1)the host name is normally smtp.*****.*** ie: if you're with virgin mail ( like me and your email ends in vigin.net) it is smtp.virgin.net
2)your username is normally whatever you email address is. In my case my username is: Luke.****@virgin.net
3)your password is whatever password you use to access you email account (it will be the same as the one in your incoming mail server)
4)authentication is generally done by password so make sure password is selected.
5) what's left is 'use SSL' and 'server port'. Unfortunately I'm not so sure on these so either check with your email provider or wait for someone else to give you some guidance.

I hope I've been helpful and haven't confused you. If there's anything I can do just say!
Sorry I couldn't provide more assistance.

Sent via iPF from my iPad2 iOS 5.1.

OP
B

banjaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set everything up, just like my laptop, I can receive emails but not send. My hotmail account is fine. Just cant figure this out. called tech support, thought I had it but I hung up before I tried it. Back to the drawing board.........:(

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
banjaboy said:
I set everything up, just like my laptop, I can receive emails but not send. My hotmail account is fine. Just cant figure this out. called tech support, thought I had it but I hung up before I tried it. Back to the drawing board.........:(

Who is the email provider you are having issues sending from?

Sure sounds like a bad smtp setup for the outbound server defined to the account.

OP
B

banjaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The provider is Shaw, here in Canada. I copy the exact information, ingoing and outgoing that I have for my laptop email, it works for incoming but not for outgoing. It puts everything into the outgoing folder and gives me the message I stated in my question. Its a pain not being able to reply on my Ipad.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
banjaboy said:
The provider is Shaw, here in Canada. I copy the exact information, ingoing and outgoing that I have for my laptop email, it works for incoming but not for outgoing. It puts everything into the outgoing folder and gives me the message I stated in my question. Its a pain not being able to reply on my Ipad.

See this link:

http://www.shaw.ca/Support/Internet/Webmail-20/Webmail-20-Setup/Synchronize-Your-iPhone-iPad/

Or this one if not webmail:

http://www.seo-webz.com/tutorials/windows-programs/shaw-email-settings.html

Last edited:
OP
B

banjaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger 4!!!!!!! How the heck did you get that!!!???? Amazing!!! I'm sure thats going to work but I have to leave the house for the day, I will get at it tonight, cant thank you enough!!!

OP
B

banjaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger 4. what can I say? I couldnt wait to give it a go so I clicked on the first link, followed the blocks......... I HAVE EMAIL!!!!!!! I am so happy and so greatful to you. My American friends bail me out again. I'm blushing and embarrassed that I could'nt find that info. I am really so pleased you could help me. Its working flawlessly now. Again...Thanks.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
banjaboy said:
Midranger 4. what can I say? I couldnt wait to give it a go so I clicked on the first link, followed the blocks......... I HAVE EMAIL!!!!!!! I am so happy and so greatful to you. My American friends bail me out again. I'm blushing and embarrassed that I could'nt find that info. I am really so pleased you could help me. Its working flawlessly now. Again...Thanks.

Quite welcome. No need to be embarassed. Glad I could help.

Most reactions

Latest posts