What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First impressions after using the iPad for three weeks

Laurens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done a little write-up of my impressions after using the iPad for nearly a month. You can find it on my blog.

As thrilled as I am about the device itself, iTunes has proven to be a royal pain in the a**. A little rant about how annoyingly slow the backup mechanism of iTunes works is on this page.

Tips for speeding up backups, beyond those I already tried, would be appreciated!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Backsups are a bugger. A couple of weeks ago someone posted details on how to turn it off and now i just sync my pad which is very fast.

I still retain my original backups but I keep nothing I can't afford to lose on it. Sorry I can't remember the title of the post but someone else may remember it.

OP
L

Laurens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also skipped back-ups but the upgrader to 3.2.2 insisted on backing up all data first prior to updating the OS. If you skip back-ups, doesn't that give you headaches as soon as Apple updates show up?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see all these posts about how long it takes to do the backup and wonder if something is wrong. I have a 16gb iPad and there's about 10gb worth of "stuff" on there. When I sync my iPad, the backup part takes maybe 1 minute, maybe 2 at the very most. For those people who say that the backup takes hours, I just can't help but believe there is something else going on with their system they aren't sharing with us! I mean I don't have a screaming fast system by any means. Its just a 2 year old Compaq desktop running Vista. How hard can this be?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You must be using windows...I have a mac and iTunes works great with the iPad...well it works great in general. I tried syncing my gf's iPad to her windows 7 laptop.....it sat for an hour saying it was syncing and didn't seem to be doing anything.

I use Wifi sync and its very fast.

OP
L

Laurens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback

@gentlefury: I am using a Windows machine at home and apparently iTunes on Mac is indeed a faster.

@1991-C4: The backups are incremental. If you never skip one, it takes less time each time you sync. If you're already through that inititial rush of trying out dozens of apps and are more or less settled in your iPad usage, it also should be faster. I suffer on both fronts. :D

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah apps is what gets me...I still get like 3 or 4 a week...and some of them like Chaos Rings can be quite hefty!

My Ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would agree the backup takes a long time, but it works I am happy to wait knowing all my files are safe.

Most reactions