What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firefox bookmarks import.

Terry2543

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is that possible? I am playing with the safari browser and can not find the ability to import bookmarks.

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the Mac version, there is an Import Bookmarks option in the file pulldown. Isn't it there in the PC version?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad bookmark import

In the Mac version, there is an Import Bookmarks option in the file pulldown. Isn't it there in the PC version?

Wot i guess terry mean import in the iPad , he is probably not familiar with iTunes

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The ipad doesn’t have any built in options that allow you to sync it with your Firefox bookmarks. There is a workaround that comes in pretty handy though. You can import the Firefox bookmarks into Safari, then sync them from there.

The following steps are for Windows users. Similar options are available for the Mac.

1. Export your Bookmarks from Firefox by clicking Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks…

2. Click Import and Backup… > Export HTML.

3. Save the file to your Desktop as bookmarks.html.

4. Download and install Safari.

5. Open Safari and select File > Import Bookmarks… (You may have to click the gear in the upper-right corner and then click Show Menu Bar if you don’t have this option.)

6. Double-click the bookmarks.html file on your Desktop.

7. Connect your ipad and select it on the left pane within iTunes.

8. Click on the Info button.

9. In the Web Browser section change the option for Sync bookmarks from to Safari.

OP
T

Terry2543

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad doesn’t have any built in options that allow you to sync it with your Firefox bookmarks. There is a workaround that comes in pretty handy though. You can import the Firefox bookmarks into Safari, then sync them from there.

The following steps are for Windows users. Similar options are available for the Mac.

1. Export your Bookmarks from Firefox by clicking Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks…

5. Open Safari and select File > Import Bookmarks… (You may have to click the gear in the upper-right corner and then click Show Menu Bar if you don’t have this option.)

9. In the Web Browser section change the option for Sync bookmarks from to Safari.

thank you for your consideration

wenzej

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This also works with Chrome

This also works as written with Chrome use the wrench icon then bookmarks manager / organize arrow then export bookmarks

Ominx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know it's not free, but the best way to accomplish this in my opinion is with MobileMe and the free XMarks application (Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search) for Safari and the same extension for Firefox. Once setup, all your bookmarks from Firefox will be synced with your Mac (Safari) and then subsequently synced to your iPhone, iPad, etc via MobileMe. There may be other ways, but this is so seamless and effortless that if you are remotely interested in MobileMe for other reasons (iDisk, Gallery, Email), then sync is icing on the cake.

rederik74

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know it's not free, but the best way to accomplish this in my opinion is with MobileMe and the free XMarks application (Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search) for Safari and the same extension for Firefox. Once setup, all your bookmarks from Firefox will be synced with your Mac (Safari) and then subsequently synced to your iPhone, iPad, etc via MobileMe. There may be other ways, but this is so seamless and effortless that if you are remotely interested in MobileMe for other reasons (iDisk, Gallery, Email), then sync is icing on the cake.

That's a great idea but it won´t work if you (like me) are a PC user because there is no Xmarks plugin version for the Safari web browser in PC. Despite of this, I am actually browsing my Xmarks bookmarks from the ipad Safari browser. Just go to your xmarks page, log in with your user and password and browse your bookmarks.

Adding to this, I'll try to test the bookmarks sync exporting from firefox and importing to Safari in my PC.

Thank you all.

Sintax69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How i did it was

1. Set Itunes to get it from internet explorer
  2. Install xmarks for firefox to sync all my PC and laptop
  3. Install xmarks for Internet explorer
  4. So now I just boot up IE before Itunes let Xmarks IE sync with my Firefox Xmarks
  5. Then load Itunes and sync it

bit of a round about way but seems a to work 4 me now I have all my PCs Iphone and Ipad with all the same bookmarks

:eek:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
All I did was export my bookmarks as html. Import them into IE and set them up how I wanted in IE (which I never use) then sync with the sync bookmarks to Internet Explorer checked.... Did it the first day I got my iPad and it worked great....

dale600rr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I stumbled across something called Firefox Home today which is a free app made by Mozilla for the IPhone. It has apparently been released to the App Store for approval and should be coming through any day now - and will work on the IPad although not in the full resolution mode. Have a look, it certainly looks like it'll meet my needs.

https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/mobile/home/

Dale

Chuck Marunde

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad and Bookmark Imports

This thread was all about importing bookmarks into Safari on the iPad, but it seems there are many who cannot stay focused, and almost all the answers go off about importing bookmarks into Safari on a desktop PC, not into the iPad. Has anyone figured out how to import Firefox or Xmarks bookmarks into the iPad? Now stay focused guys. Please don't give me answers about PC software. iPad. iPad. Bookmarks.

Reaction score
If you actually bothered to read all of the posts, you would have realized that it's not possible to sync your Firefox bookmarks to the iPad without a workaround. All of the posts in this thread explain various workarounds to sync your bookmarks from firefox on your PC through iTunes to the ipad. As far as I can see, all of the posts on this thread were "focused" as to the subject at hand. Maybe you should go back and reread the posts before making a comment about staying focused or maybe you should take your own advice.

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
This thread was all about importing bookmarks into Safari on the iPad, but it seems there are many who cannot stay focused, and almost all the answers go off about importing bookmarks into Safari on a desktop PC, not into the iPad. Has anyone figured out how to import Firefox or Xmarks bookmarks into the iPad? Now stay focused guys. Please don't give me answers about PC software. iPad. iPad. Bookmarks.

Did you read my post? I have had my Firefox book marks on my iPad since day one. Perhaps if you stay focused long enough you can actually read the help people are giving you.....

Most reactions

Latest posts