What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filebrowser app does not work in non Windows network

appleeater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems that this app is designed for Windows only. Using a Mac (despite they tell it does support it) it does not connect with the Mac even when I enter an IP address as computer name.
The troubleshooting guide of Stratospherix is very confusing.
Did anyone succeed to connect to a Mac or Linux computer ?

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, FileBrowser is a great app - it's sole purpose, however, is to communicate via the Windows SMB protocol. Unless your Mac is running Samba or something like thing, FileBrowser won't do you any good...

I use it at work to access files on our Windows file servers directly from my iPad... I also use it to access my FreeNAS server at home sometimes....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually, FileBrowser is a great app - it's sole purpose, however, is to communicate via the Windows SMB protocol. Unless your Mac is running Samba or something like thing, FileBrowser won't do you any good...

I use it at work to access files on our Windows file servers directly from my iPad... I also use it to access my FreeNAS server at home sometimes....

Hm, in that case you might try going into the Sharing preferences on the Mac. Turn file Sharing on, then go into options and choose Share Files using SMB (Windows).

You should probably set up a few shared folders as well, associate them with accounts, and select their read & write permissions.

No idea if it will work, but it's worth a try.

OP
appleeater

appleeater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks! It woeks now when I set samba sharing on on my Mac. And on Linux as well when I share the folder.

Most reactions

Latest posts