What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

File Transfer to iPad?

ladynikon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I connected the iPad using the usb cable. I tried to move files over to the iPad as though it was a hard drive and it wont let me? Did they take that feature away?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello - well you probably are assuming that the iPad will behave like an attached hard drive to a PC computer using Windows Explorer - wrong, sorry!

Now, there are plenty of ways (both wired & wireless) to get files/photos/etc. onto the iPad, please specify exactly what you want to do - will greatly help us to give you more specific advice - :)

Last edited:
OP
L

ladynikon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember with the iPhone ( years ago when i had one) I could just drag and drop. i don't know how specific you want me to be. I just want to drag files from my computer to my iPad.

DroidHAM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
whats a file that lets me copy mkv to my ipad without using itunes?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
whats a file that lets me copy mkv to my ipad without using itunes?

Hi Droid - just a suggestion, i.e. would have been best for you to start a new thread rather than 'bury' your question in another - unlikely to receive the attention you want and just confuses other potential posters in trying to decide which question(s) to answer? :eek:

But, please see the quote below which is from an Apple Support document showing the video formats supported by the native iPad - as you can see the MKV option is not available, so you will likely have to convert your videos to one of the formats shown - good luck.

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I remember with the iPhone ( years ago when i had one) I could just drag and drop. i don't know how specific you want me to be. I just want to drag files from my computer to my iPad.

Well, as already stated, the iPad will not really allow what you choice, i.e. drag and drop. If you want to put audio, images, video onto the iPad, iTunes will sync then there or other options exist including wireless choices. OTOH, if you want non-AV files, then their types and the presence of an appropriate app(s) to interpret them would be needed. Hence, my question about the types of files that you want to transfer to the device? :)

OP
L

ladynikon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am currently partially blind due to some eye surgery.. so if you asked what file types in your previous question.. I didn't see it so I am sorry. Photos and music is easy I can do that via itunes. I guess I will try dropping the pdfs into ibooks. I will let you know. thanks for trying to help. Once I know more specifically what I want to do I will let you know.

alexiarudolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipadcopysoftware.com
Actually Apple iPad are build to transfer the data using iTunes and the sync process is there to take the backup of the files and store it in the database on your system but since all kinds of video files are not supported by iTunes, it is not possible to transfer the videos directly. You can convert mkv video to another video file format and then transfer or you can use the iPad Copy Software which did not require iTunes to transfer the files. You can check out a program that can do so over here, http://www.ipadcopysoftware.com

hope it helps! :)

A.R.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts