What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fax app ?

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone used any of the fax apps available in the App Store ? None of them seem to have the greatest reviews. Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone used any of the fax apps available in the App Store ? None of them seem to have the greatest reviews. Thanks!

I did a quick search, using the term fax app and got 173 results. One of them may meet your needs.

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did a quick search, using the term fax app and got 173 results. One of them may meet your needs.

yes I saw the many to choose from I was hoping someone has one that they would recommend because the reviews on most were not that great

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Scanner Pro is a good app and has a FAX feature; however I've never used that option so I can't vouch for how, or how well that part works. I don't even know of any place to send a test FAX.

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Scanner Pro is a good app and has a FAX feature; however I've never used that option so I can't vouch for how, or how well that part works. I don't even know of any place to send a test FAX.

you know i have that app and didint know it had fax capabilities. There are a few test fax number online that I've used in the past-thanks i'll open my app and check it out!

geoluv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Faxburner is free and gives you virtual numbers good for 24 hours and lets you receive up to 25 pages per month for free. Also lets you send 5 total pages for free. Also because of the new safari uploading options in ios6 there is a trick to upload your fax to a website that does free faxes. If you send a receive a lot of faxes you might want to find a good app though, I think a good app would have the following features: gives you a dedicated number for sending and receiving faxes, stores the incoming faxes, push notification when you receive a fax, "open with..." function, and not too expensive, preferably a nice reasonable flat rate instead of charging you by the fax, or at least a low per-fax rate like 10 cents or something. Sme of them are 99 cents a fax. Also make sure they let you buy the faxes with in app purchases instead of logging into a website and using your credit card, for securities sake.

I'm looking for a free way to send and receive faxes on my pad too so I'm interested in people's replys to this thread. I'm thinking there has to be a website that offers free faxing services these days, there is no shortage of free VoIP services and some VoIP services work well with faxes.

OP
G

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Faxburner is free and gives you virtual numbers good for 24 hours and lets you receive up to 25 pages per month for free. Also lets you send 5 total pages for free. Also because of the new safari uploading options in ios6 there is a trick to upload your fax to a website that does free faxes. If you send a receive a lot of faxes you might want to find a good app though, I think a good app would have the following features: gives you a dedicated number for sending and receiving faxes, stores the incoming faxes, push notification when you receive a fax, "open with..." function, and not too expensive, preferably a nice reasonable flat rate instead of charging you by the fax, or at least a low per-fax rate like 10 cents or something. Sme of them are 99 cents a fax. Also make sure they let you buy the faxes with in app purchases instead of logging into a website and using your credit card, for securities sake.

I'm looking for a free way to send and receive faxes on my pad too so I'm interested in people's replys to this thread. I'm thinking there has to be a website that offers free faxing services these days, there is no shortage of free VoIP services and some VoIP services work well with faxes.

thanks!

JJ_BPK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Old thread, need updates??

Has any apps come out that are not pay-2-play?

I found a couple Iphone FREE apps, that charge per page sent, but I just can't find a FREE/FREE app.

Seems really stupid, I pay for a phone with data service and can't use it to send a FAX??

I have a "near" one-time fax for the FEDS and can't see getting into P2P. This FED org can't receive an email with images..

Tx
JJ

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many of the fax apps I checked in the App Store will let you receive a fax for free but all the ones I looked at charge a fee to send faxes. You may have to end up paying to send that fax by using an in-app purchase in whichever app you choose to download.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you could send a FAX from your phone with nothing but the hardware on your phone a free app would probably exist. But you can't. Services that offer FAX online do so by providing servers, landlines, and software to make it happen. And they need to pay for those things one way or the other.

There are a few web based services that pay for 'limited' FAX sending by advertising. Your recipient gets an ad on the cover page. FaxZero.com is one of those.

It is not possible to use FaxZero with Safari, unless you want to send an image from the Photo Library. However you should be able to use it with iCab Mobile. This browser lets you upload files other than photos, but getting them there can be a bit complicated.

First you have to dig into it's settings (in-app) and make sure the Network > Uploads via setting says iCab Mobile. Then you have to get the file into iCab Mobile; either by using Open In from the app that has the file or the new import feature in the download folder that lets you access the iCloud Drive folders from other apps.

I've tested this only to the point of being able to select a PDF file to upload. I didn't have anywhere to send it. So try this at your own risk. I'd say it's risk free, but you have to pay for iCab Mobile, so you're risking that much at least.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Seems really stupid, I pay for a phone with data service and can't use it to send a FAX?

Just on this point, faxes are sent by old school telephone connection, not data in the 3G/wifi/internet sense. So if you were able to send a fax by mobile phone, it would eat into you call plan, not your data plan.

Most reactions