What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FAQs on "Do I need Wi-Fi or 3G model?"

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now we're getting somewhere. So, instead of asking, "should I wait for 4G?", I shall ask for a speed comparison 3G/4G.

Even a cracked record is right twice a day ... or something like that.

3G maxes out real-world at about 1Mbps. 4G averages 5Mbps and can burst to 10Mbps, real-world. 4GLTE does about 8-10Mbps, with bursts to 20Mbps.

As far as waiting for 4G, I'd say following the same philosophy as modems a decade ago: use external technology until the tech matures to its maximum speed. It was easier to by a 14.4k, 28.8k, 33.6k, then 56k modem than to keep replacing your laptop every time a faster model was released.

I think 4GLTE will be the max, so once that's rolled out where you plan to use the equipment, that's the time to get it installed rather than use a hotspot or tether.

Sasha5113

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G maxes out real-world at about 1Mbps. 4G averages 5Mbps and can burst to 10Mbps, real-world. 4GLTE does about 8-10Mbps, with bursts to 20Mbps.

As far as waiting for 4G, I'd say following the same philosophy as modems a decade ago: use external technology until the tech matures to its maximum speed. It was easier to by a 14.4k, 28.8k, 33.6k, then 56k modem than to keep replacing your laptop every time a faster model was released.

I think 4GLTE will be the max, so once that's rolled out where you plan to use the equipment, that's the time to get it installed rather than use a hotspot or tether.

Thx, epb. Real world, useful stuff. My 7.5 Mbps WildBlue+Airport Extreme would be hard to give up.

MaDurn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I totally get what the OP is saying....
when my hubby asked if i wanted 3G over Wifi, i promptly said why?
in the course of my day, i am able to hop on Wifi at any given moment, whether it's at work or at home, thru various devices (PC, smartphone, iPad, laptop, etc).
so for me, it was a absolute answer that 3G on the iPad would never be used.
since i travel frequently and almost always choose a hotel with Wifi access (free or not) AND visit internet cafes regularly, I am never within reach of a signal.
Now, if I ever find myself in the countryside, well.....i might be screwed. but that's a rarity....

bcutlerj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(a) I have wifi at home and work so ... most of the time 3G is not an issue. When it is, (b) I have 3G on my iPhone and MyFi provide seamless and consistent connection (as consistent as AT&T in San Francisco is anyway). Anyway, I wanted 3G but didn't want to spend the money. I found out I didn't have to. And, apparently, I won't have to even when I upgrade from iPhone 3GS tp 4.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you are "thinking way too much in to this" We do not really need to be told that we can't tell someone something, if they ask we can give any advice either of us want, in the end they are going to buy whatever they want anyway.

SeoChampion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I prefer people going for wifi 3G model as i am using it really performs great!

schwazche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Near limitless browsing with 3G, but a WiFi only in conjunction with a MyFi or MyFi-enabled iPhone will get you the same access. I bought a used 3G with no SIM and used MyFi on my iPhone for about a week before enabling the 3G due to less hassle. Hope this helps.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3g model waste of $$$. Get wifi model and tether wirelessly with ur smartphone. 9 times outta 10, if they can afford ipad, then they probaly have a decent phone with tethering capabilitites. I use wireless high speed at home with wifi. Then when im on the move, just use my wifi tethering router program on my 3g win mo phone. Saved hundreds of $$ vs, getting 3g model.
I do see what u mean OP. Some people just need to hear others opinions(although it shouldnt matter) to reassure their decision. In the end, its the persons choice on what they want for their needs.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased my 64GB wi-fi (no 3G) because, as a Sprint customer who was approaching full-$150-credit-towards-phone-upgrade w/in 1 month of iPad purchase, I knew I planned to make that phone upgrade be an Android-based 3G model w/ wi-fi hotspot capabilities (LG Optimus S). Sprint charges only $29.99/mo more on my monthly statement to add the hotspot functionality...over and above my smartphone's Unlimited Data plan coverage. Phone is always with me... iPad is always with me... I'll make my own wi-fi *and* take a call as I see fit. and do so without bumping into data ceilings.

If I didn't breeze through this thread too rapidly, I think my scenario is worth throwing into the mix. But I accept, I may have missed the point :)

- Dave
U coulda just rooted ur android device and have the hotspot feature for free! $30 a month for that is a waste when u can do the same thing for free if u root(same as jailbrake, but for Android devices). Phone companies always tryin to make extra $$ for feature that should be standard. If already have unlimited data plan, why pay even more, to use ur same data, U Already Paying for? Lol they makin a killin rippin people off on this. IMO

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now we're getting somewhere. So, instead of asking, "should I wait for 4G?", I shall ask for a speed comparison 3G/4G.

Even a cracked record is right twice a day ... or something like that.

My 3g tethering maxed out around 1.5mbps to as much as 3mbps. Coverage or reception in ur area might not be that good.

schwazche

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3g model waste of $$$. .

Not to demean, but unfortunately when you're "on the move" your WIFI-only iPad has no real GPS.

Although not for everyone, GPS on the iPad's huge screen is an excellent reason to get the 3G for me and many others.

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3g model waste of $$$. .

Not to demean, but unfortunately when you're "on the move" your WIFI-only iPad has no real GPS.

Although not for everyone, GPS on the iPad's huge screen is an excellent reason to get the 3G for me and many others.

Good point but u could easily use external gps thru bluetooth. Plus i dont use it for that so that feature not so important to me.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Plus wifi only ipads use skyhook technology(wifi base triangulation) to find location. Which in the city, is even more accurate thn gps. My google maps or earth Always pinpoints my location exactly, n dats with wifi only ipad ;-) its only in the country where it might be in accurate. I dont live n the country or go there so im good. Lol
Check specs out on apple sight n it will also tell u that wifi models use assisted gps also ;-)

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And..lmao..wifi models are the most popular and sold the most. If everyone was so keen on gps, everyone would have wifi+3g model.
Anyways apple was cheap because NO ipad model uses true gps. None have a true gps chipset. Data plan is not needed to use gps. All models using asisted gps feature. Garmin and laptops with gps dont need a data plan to work. So apple actually is getting over on people boasting about that feature. Thats why wifi+ 3g models brings apple the most profit. Apple didnt include a teue gps chipset to curb costs n it actually doesnt even cost much if they were to include it. A fail on their part

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts