What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Failure on a wifi update to iOS8.2

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife used WiFi to update from iOS8.1 to 8.2. Something went wrong. After 'updating' the Apple logo was on the screen for what seems 'forever'. I decided to turn off the iPad but then could NOT turn it back on. After using the 'on' button eventually it showed the iTunes connect screen. Took it to a Windows PC and it claimed that it needed to be reset to factory settings and then we could restore from a back-up. That 'appeared' to work, but after it completed the iPad (iPad2 if it matters) said 108 apps couldn't be copied?

itunes_fail.JPG

After the process completed and I opened the iPad it showed it had 151 apps to be updated. Let that happen, but we're still short many.

The above is only part of the list. Searching the web it seems basically one needs to keep trying, and we've done that, next time 97, then 78 not copied.

Suggestions? I know we could 're-load' these via iTunes, but that is quite a few to do.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Turn off the iPad and turn it on again. If this fixes your problem, there's nothing else you need to do.

Resetting/rebooting might help as well:
Press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo is visble. Let go of both, your device will power up on it's own.

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turn off the iPad and turn it on again. If this fixes your problem, there's nothing else you need to do.

Resetting/rebooting might help as well:
Press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo is visble. Let go of both, your device will power up on it's own.

Restarting it seems does take time. Real problem appears to be the APPS that are not put back? Don't know why they were not? I guess I could go to PURCHASED in iTunes on the iPad and start selecting them, but I'd rather have them restored with any data they had?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Restarting the iPad is one of the fixes you can try before taking any further steps. It's the least "invasive" one. Same goes for resetting your device. Both don't change settings or delete data.

Did you backup your device to iTunes before wiping it? Which backup did you use for restoring: iTunes or iCloud?

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Restarting the iPad is one of the fixes you can try before taking any further steps. It's the least "invasive" one. Same goes for resetting your device. Both don't change settings or delete data.

Did you backup your device to iTunes before wiping it? Which backup did you use for restoring: iTunes or iCloud?

Tried restarting... and it updated very few apps. Many still missing. I tried adding some back in from purchases but it did NOT go into the folders they should be?

Backup was from 2 weeks ago. Nothing major would have been lost. Once the iPad sort of 'froze' after the 8.2 update I got it to 'work' by fiddling with the top rocker switch and the home button. Up came the iTunes and cable icon and I attached it to the PC where the 3/04 backup was. Was told something went wrong and I'd need to reset the device to factor settings and THEN do the BACKUP RESTORE which I did... it doesn't seem to work too well. All backup are from the PC, we really don't use the cloud at all.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you add them from your purchases, you don't use the backup, so they'll appear on the homescreen, on a free place. It's like installing new apps.

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is what I thought, it would be new. But it isn't? She found one icon in a folder that was 'black' and then looked for it under purchased. Was there with the 'cloud and down arrow'. Pressed that, it downloaded and appeared in the same folder it was in before? Others DID go to the first open screen as new. I think those were ones she had DELETED before?

OP
I

IrvSp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That sounds weird.

Here's an Apple support page dealing with similar errors:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/TS3221

If none of these suggestions help, you should consider restoring the iPad once more.

Thanks for the link, but those are different errors. We get 0x80002D errors which is sync errors. No real answers for that that I've found.

I'm thinking something is wrong on the iPad with those apps and they can't be copied over. However WHY repeated backup restores seem to install a few at a time has me baffled. The iPad (64GB model) has about 10GB free and I wonder is that isn't enough other than to restore a few at a time?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This site doesn't show every error that it's referring to:

Alternatively, the error may be the same as above but end with a different number. (From that page)

The error in your screenshot start with 0xE.

Most reactions

Latest posts