What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facebook will soon automatically grab your iOS photos and post them online

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
AppsAsia said:
it seems like as time goes by our privacy slowly goes out the door :(

Yes, as time goes on, more and more companies will try and get away with everything that's not expressly prohibited under law.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The feature puts your pictures in a private album that only you can see until you move them to another album - so it's not going to expose your pictures to your fb friends at least.

I do agree it should be opt in though and not opt out.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm surprised there haven't been lawsuits for other things yet regarding Facebook. I almost want there to be just because.

This is because you grant them permission to do just about anything they want...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thewitt said:
This is because you grant them permission to do just about anything they want...

Yes, you will be forced to grant them permission to use your photos in that manner before using Facebook. User agreements are crafted by the best lawyers to reduce or eliminate legal liabilities for the companies that issue them.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had an email last night from Facebook about new terms and conditions. I clicked on the link expecting to see the page that detailed the changes. No such luck. It opened to my timeline, forcing me to go digging. Did I bother? No. And it's my bet most people won't. By not chasing the link, I've probably agreed to donate the entire contents of my computer systems to them.

Facebook should remember what happened to MySpace. Giants DO fall in the IT world.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The fb app doesn't know how to follow those links. If you browse fb with a web browser the links work fine.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thewitt said:
The fb app doesn't know how to follow those links. If you browse fb with a web browser the links work fine.

Thanks. I'll have a look when I get home.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thewitt said:

Do you have to access the email with the link while on your laptop, then.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:
The feature puts your pictures in a private album that only you can see until you move them to another album - so it's not going to expose your pictures to your fb friends at least.

I do agree it should be opt in though and not opt out.

What is the fascination with our private pics. For advertising purposes??

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
What is the fascination with our private pics. For advertising purposes??

The exif data that they contain, I imagine. Digital photographs automatically store the location they were taken, the camera type and a whole heap of other info. Google, Facebook et al are hungry for your travel details. Take a photo, let Facebook have it and wait for the emails from Best Western.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
The exif data that they contain, I imagine. Digital photographs automatically store the location they were taken, the camera type and a whole heap of other info. Google, Facebook et al are hungry for your travel details. Take a photo, let Facebook have it and wait for the emails from Best Western.

Data mining is very lucrative. Just look at all those loyalty cards out there. You members out there didn't think the stores give out discount and club cards out of the goodness of their hearts, did you?

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:

Ha, interesting, thanks.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
Data mining is very lucrative. Just look at all those loyalty cards out there. You members out there didn't think the stores give out discount and club cards out of the goodness of their hearts, did you?

Yes, lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts