What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Facebook app question

Crispykreme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new but I'll cut to the question.
A while ago when looking at my friends list on Facebook, if I went into one of the "starred" friends I could see whenever they posted or commented on other posts. It would show in grey on a completely different looking page to their timeline page. So i can obviously see their posts, but have no idea if they have commented (or liked) on anyone else's... The view is different as if the timeline on the regular Internet is exactly the same as the app... Any ideas?

OP
C

Crispykreme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be a little clearer, is there any way to view a friends Facebook page, without viewing their timeline?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Maybe I'm just not understanding you but I've just been to my starred friends on FB and it tells me who they have liked and commented and who they are now friends with. Maybe your app is playing up.

When an app behaves strangely it is best to close it completely and then relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly, let us know how you go or if I'm misunderstanding here.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
C

Crispykreme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, thanks (for all that info)...
its more to do with the fact that when i used to launch the app and click on a friend, i was taken to a kind of newsfeed page just for them. it showed comments on other peoples walls, status and posts. now when i do the same, i see their timeline instead, which only shows me the same as regular facebook... if thats the new programming, then fine, but i wanted to know if it was something i needed to change or had changed.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi, thanks (for all that info)...
its more to do with the fact that when i used to launch the app and click on a friend, i was taken to a kind of newsfeed page just for them. it showed comments on other peoples walls, status and posts. now when i do the same, i see their timeline instead, which only shows me the same as regular facebook... if thats the new programming, then fine, but i wanted to know if it was something i needed to change or had changed.

Hi Krispy, I do remember the old newsfeed fashion we used to have before the time line began. Most members had an option to try out the new version early before it was formally launched to get acquainted with the new features. I think what you see now will be that..only the time line. As far as I see, there is no way of being able to change the settings back to the old format.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just been looking into my FB and notice that some of my friends are still showing their wall. So it depends on who accepted Timeline also when it was offered to what you will see now.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've just been looking into my FB and notice that some of my friends are still showing their wall. So it depends on who accepted Timeline also when it was offered to what you will see now.

So it wasn't changed all together. Are your friends active on Facebook, Leelai, just wondering if they have been on to see/accept the change.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
So it wasn't changed all together. Are your friends active on Facebook, Leelai, just wondering if they have been on to see/accept the change.

No not as yet, they must still be rolling it out.....of the 5 I've found so far, 2 are very active.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No not as yet, they must still be rolling it out.....of the 5 I've found so far, 2 are very active.

Got it. All my friends were up in arms about the required change over to the timeline. Many decided to leave because of it, so that's why I assumed it changed already.

Personally, I don't mind the timeline at all. It's kind of neat to see the things you have posted way back when and also the pics loaded.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Got it. All my friends were up in arms about the required change over to the timeline. Many decided to leave because of it, so that's why I assumed it changed already.

Personally, I don't mind the timeline at all. It's kind of neat to see the things you have posted way back when and also the pics loaded.

Yes it does seem easier but the old way looks nicer to me, not as cluttered.

Most reactions