What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External Mics / guitar inputs.

trum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, newb to the forum here :) I just got a hold of a nice little ipad mini w/ retina, and I'm pretty keen to start using it to demo tracks as I'm writing. I'm looking to get an external mic to put with it, and am leaning towards the dock connection mics rather than through the headphone jack. I've heard that using jack connections can generate noise on the tracks, where that isn't a problem with dock connections. With the mini/retina model ipad, it has one of these new-fangled lightning docks. Is anyone here aware of companies that make external mics that run through the lightning dock? I can't seem to find any thus-far. Second to that, I suppose to run a guitar into it, that would have to go through the headphone jack, unless they make guitar input things that can plug through the lightning dock. That said, with either of those scenarios, would active pic-ups on a bass be bad for it? I don't want to overdrive and/or blow the ass out of the thing :/ Thanks for your time guys, I'm sure I'll be back here with plenty more to learn over the next little while, and I'll help out back where I can. Ciao :)

GaryLee4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You might want to look at products from appogee. They have several interfaces that should work.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I have their digital guitar interface and it came with both a 30 pin and a lightning connector. They may have something for voice (a microphone input) as well

GaryLee4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually I use the apogee 1 to record instruments and vocals using garageband ios7. It has 1/4 and xlr inputs. It has a studio quality mic built in and xlr mic input with 48v if needed.

delirium trigger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is what I do, I use the iRig HD, which hooks into the lightning connector, (Not like the old iRig that goes through the headphone jack) It records at 24 bit and comes with amplitube metal, which opens up in garage band.

THEN, for acoustic, I carry my zoom h4n which has great condenser mic's on it, and its portable enough to put in my book bag with my iPad. I then connect the line out from it, into the iRig HD with an adapter the size of a guitar cable. GREAT quality. It also has two XLR mic inputs with 48volts.

But there is also something Rode makes. Called the XY connector. Type in Rode XY lightning. Very nice condenser mic that plug into your iPad or iPhone. That is for singing, or acoustic instruments.

If you wanna plug a guitar in, ampkit or amplitube are the way to go.

delirium trigger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But as I said, all the options I listed, plug into the lightning jack. I do not plug into the headphone jack. That will not record at high quality

Most reactions

Latest posts