What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Behringer UCG102 Guitar Link.

Dr. Robert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This doesn't really come under the heading of 'app,' so I'll post a few brief thoughts about this here.

The UCG102 is a 1/4" to USB interface for the guitar. It has an input for the guitar, and an output for headphones, which I haven't tried yet. It hooks up to the camera dock interface. Running the guitar through the Behringer into Garageband, I used the iPad's headphone input with no problem, although the Behringer has a volume control, which could be handy.

The interface was plug and play. No hassles whatsoever. No noticeable latency. The iPad had no problem powering the interface, and the battery didn't seem to be going down any faster than usual.

I haven't tried it yet with something like Amplitube, nor am I likely to, unless Amplitube will show up as a plugin in Garageband. IK Multimedia wants a few more dinerii to incorporate an 8 track recorder into their program. The amp sims in Garageband are good enough for me to be noodling around on, and are very tweakable.

So, if you guitarists are looking for a cheap way to get your guitar into the iPad, I'd recommend the UCG102.

It also comes with some basic amp sim software for the computer, but I am not going to bother installing it. I have Amplitube 3, and Scuffham amps, so I'm good in that respect. ;)

UCG102_big%5B1%5D.jpg

Hope this helps,

Dr. Robert

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
image.jpgI see that the ucg102 runs about $30.

This is just for reference and I don't recommend it.
There is a USB sound card for $3 that has a headphone out and mic in.
It works with the iPad 2 with camera kit connector.
The headphone out is really a line out and does not or can not drive a headphone.
I found the USB sound card failing badly when a headphone was connected.
It may also be the leading reason for bad reviews of the product on amazon.
Also, I thought the sound quality was poor and I was trying to go for the metal tone.

If this ucg102 works with other music apps like Ampkit, amplitude, music studio, and others,
it would be nice for $30.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dr. Robert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice collection of apps! I suppose the only way to know would be to buy one from an online seller that has a 30 day no questions asked return policy. My gut feeling is that it would probably work with Amplitube, or music studio. I, personally, don't see the need to buy those apps for myself, because I don't see myself doing any serious work on the iPad. It would be good for noodling on the go, or as a means to get an idea down quickly, but that's just my opinion, and Garageband is sufficient for either of those needs.

Magnetic1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I like garage band for some of the neat synth tones for the keyboard. We have our electric piano connected to the apple laptop via a MIDI cable and the basic playing is ok with some latency issue here and there. However, I tried using my electric guitar on the apple laptop garageband and I was getting a lot of feedback noise.
Also I like that there are a bunch of effects. But I liked Digitech multi-effects pedal better sound quality wise, especially Fender amp models. And I thought Marshall crunch tone was not in there.
But I can't complain since garage band does many other things well.

OP
D

Dr. Robert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can confirm that the Behringer will work with Amplitube. IK Multimedia was having a sale, and €4.49 seemed a reasonable price to pay for it. I wouldn't have paid full wack for it, though.

I was having trouble with the Behringer for a bit, tried pluging it into my Mac, it worked fine, so it seems that the USB card adaptor I received free when I bought a cover for my iPad is worth about what I paid for it.

Most reactions

Latest posts