What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External GPS device vs. IPad Internal GPS

gardavin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
External Gps vs Internal GPS
I have an IPAD 1 with wifi and 3G that has an internal GPS. I am a pilot that uses the iPad for secondary tracking of flights. The internal gps works ok during low altitude flights but seems to go out and back in as I climb to higher altitudes. I understand that there are a few devices like the Bad Elf GPS that will work at higher altitudes and at greater speeds. But the reviews I have read state that you need to have an iPad WITHOUT gps for it to work.

Is there a way to disable the internal gps?

Is there a flight map out there that will allow you to use an external gps devise to over ride the internal gps?

Is there another product similar to the Bad Elf GPS that will work with my iPad?

Is my only solution is to get another iPad without gps?

Thanks,
Gonzalo

ProPhotoGA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gonzalo, I am also a pilot and use Foreflight HD along with my Bad Elf gps and it
works extremely well. I have used this combination with both 3G and just WIFI. Both
were spot on matching my Garmin GPS.

I am not sure where you read that it only worked with WIFI models. I spoke with the
team from Bad Elf at Air Venture this year and tested prior to purchasing. Flew at
8000' and it tracked perfectly using Foreflight HD.

You can turn the GPS off in the iPad and my Bad Elf will over ride the internal gps.

There is a puck type Bluetooth gps that also works with the iPad. Can't remember
the name off the top of my head.

OP
G

gardavin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ProPhotoGA:

The mystery is over; the Bad Elf will over ride the internal gps on the ipad. I received the Bad Elf today and tested it out on land while driving and it in fact does override the internal gps as long as it connects to the satellite. The interesting thing that I also noted that when I was indoors in a concrete structured building and the Bad Elf lost signal, my internal gps immediately connected and continued the ForeFlight HD map with little loss.

To answer your question, I did extensive research for most of the weekend and everything I read stated that if you have an internal gps it will not work when in fact it does. I even went to the Ipad specs and it states the same. I went to the Bad Elf site and it only addresses none 3g ipads.

So the good news is that we have corrected a myth. I thank you for your time and experience. Take care,

scott95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone had any reception issues with the badelf? I was flying into Everett yesterday and on the approach noticed that my position was no longer being shown on the approach plate. I had to taxi clear of the runway and restart the gps before I had reception. Any tips on how to prevent this would be helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Has anyone had any reception issues with the badelf? I was flying into Everett yesterday and on the approach noticed that my position was no longer being shown on the approach plate. I had to taxi clear of the runway and restart the gps before I had reception. Any tips on how to prevent this would be helpful!

do you have reception issues regularly or was it just this time? (don't take this the wrong way, I'm sure you already know this since you're a pilot, I'm not a pilot but do have a lot of experience using GPS on the ground locating items people hide and post coordinates to.) Remember that the GPS is receiving its signal from moving satellites. You need good reception of at least three satellites to get an accurate location. There are times when you may be in a position that currently does not have many satellites in view at that time. While getting good reception in a particular spot, since the satellites above are moving accuracy can very depending on whats overhead.

Last edited:

scott95

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mike,

The reception issue has happened a few times but I think your right about the gps not receiving a clear signal. I currently fly with the ipad on my lap but i'm planning on getting a yoke mount soon. This should put the ipad up higher and provide a larger field of view for the gps to receive the signals. Thanks for the comment, i will re-post and let you know what I come up with.

Most reactions

Latest posts