What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Export from Contacts?

BobDenny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have all of my contacts in my Android phone. To get them into the iPad was simple, after searching here for about 10 hours and reading lots of crazy advice :) The Android saves contact info as VCF and you can export it all into one big VCF file, pictures and all! Mail the VCF file and touch in mail, and it will import into Contacts. The pictures even go across. This was a Good Thing...

Now I want to go the other way. My phone is overstuffed with almost 500 contacts and is giving me a low memory alert occasionally. So, hell, I spent that $800 for my iPad so I'll use THAT for my contacts. BBBBBZZZZZTTTTTT! No contact export. But wait, "There's an app for that", actually several. More reading and rolling the dice on payware for this? I was absolutely STUNNED to discover that the "premier" contact exporter is a mini webserver that you log into from your PC/Mac/Android Phone (ha ha) in order to get the exported contacts out! WHAT???

I DO NOT(!!!) WANT THESE 500 CONTACTS IN GOOGLE!! I want them in my iPad. A DropBox solution would be OK. I couldn't figure out how to use DropBox to get the VCF file into the iPad contacts app, but maybe I'm just lame.

Tell me I'm wrong and help me please?

88raymond

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm not sure if i understood what you want... export your ipad contacts?

try "phonebook backup" from the appstore. it saves the entire contacts entries as a vcard, which you can send as an email.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, the iCloud & iOS 5 update due sometime this fall will (probably) fix this. The iCould website is supposed to be very similar to MobileMe, and that has vCard export options.

iCloud will be free.

OP
BobDenny

BobDenny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm not sure if i understood what you want... export your ipad contacts?
Yes, as .VCF including pictures and all the info.
try "phonebook backup" from the appstore. it saves the entire contacts entries as a vcard, which you can send as an email.
Thank you! That is just what I was looking for. It's hard to get used to not having files on the iPad, but email is good. This makes it possible to use the iPad as the "master copy" of my contacts.

Wynssa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, as .VCF including pictures and all the info.

Thank you! That is just what I was looking for. It's hard to get used to not having files on the iPad, but email is good. This makes it possible to use the iPad as the "master copy" of my contacts.

Because this may be useful to others: I bought the non-lite version of PhoneBook Backup, and it FAILED spectacularly to export more than a handful of my thousand or so contacts, working from my iPhone4s. However another forum suggested I select all the names in my AddressBook on the Mac, and just drag n drop them into a folder on my desktop (or elsewhere). Sure enough, this produced a 5 megs single vCard, which I emailed myself, picked up on the iPad, and used to fill my Address Book on the iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts