What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EXE files

Status
Not open for further replies.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You mean Apps from iTunes or do you mean programs from your computer?

If if you mean programs from your computer, you can't. But if you can be specific about what you want to do, we can help some more.

OP
B

BParis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to get our Cisco VPN established (it's an .exe file on our intranet) and load other programs from our intranet, such as a PDF reader.
Thanks!

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
EXE files are DOS based (Windows), you need to find the .DMG installation (MAC).

EDIT - Also, you won't be able to simply install a .DMG to the iPad... it isn't a computer. You need to install applications via the iTunes App Store or Cydia. See THIS ARTICLE for help setting up a Cisco VPN.

Last edited:

Jorgisven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More fuel efficient...

To make an analogy, I'm going to rephrase your question so you understand what you're really asking.

"I'm having trouble getting my car to run on diesel, because it's cheaper than gasoline. Any suggestions?"

As people have mentioned, iOS devices (such as the iPad, iPod touch, and iPhone) don't run .exe files, which are DOS/Windows based coding. iOS doesn't even really run .dmg (which usually contain .pkg files, which contain, typically, compressed archives among other files, which contain .app files).

iOS and OSX both run .app files, however, iOS doesn't have the same structure as OSX. What this means is that iOS doesn't know what to do with those "other files" that aren't .app, that are typically used by OSX.

Windows uses .exe, which are setup entirely different and rely on registry entires and .dll (direct library links) rather than .pref (preference) files.

Before I spend too much more time letting you know all this technical errata, know that the iPad has a VPN for Cisco configurations built-in already. No need to install! You may need to confer with your system administrator for settings, but go to the General Settings>Network>VPN>Add VPN Configuration>IPSec tab (if you use Cisco). The settings documented in the link above will not apply to you unless you're trying to connect to THAT network.

As far as PDF reader, iBooks can read pdf files. To get it "synced", open iTunes from your syncing computer, simply add it as a file (File>Add to Library>filenamehere.pdf. If you don't like the simple iBooks reader, there are a number of pdf readers in the App Store. Unfortunately, you just can't get files from your intranet and install them, as it were, even if they were written for OSX.

Shriyapathy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
On my ios 7 ipad we wish to operate a horoscope software " jagannath Hora" . But ipad do not enable this facility because this software runs on .exe file formate on windows . Ie this software is compatible with ipad ios.

BUT I AM A ROAMIMG HINDU SINGLE DOING FREE CONSULTANCY SERVICES. ALSO I CANNOT PURCHASE A LAPTOP TO HELP MY SERVICES.
SO ANY WAY I NEED THIS .exe software to be run on my ipad ( which is a gift by beficiary).
I request anybody to help me.
Sms Moderator Edit: deleted Sms number caranagathy at icoud ipad

Thank u.

Last edited by a moderator:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
On my ios 7 ipad we wish to operate a horoscope software " jagannath Hora" . But ipad do not enable this facility because this software runs on .exe file formate on windows . Ie this software is compatible with ipad ios.

BUT I AM A ROAMIMG HINDU SINGLE DOING FREE CONSULTANCY SERVICES. ALSO I CANNOT PURCHASE A LAPTOP TO HELP MY SERVICES.
SO ANY WAY I NEED THIS .exe software to be run on my ipad ( which is a gift by beficiary).
I request anybody to help me.
Sms Moderator Edit: Deleted Sms number caranagathy at icoud ipad

Thank u.

I believe the answer to your question is found within the above posts, the last of which was made well over two years ago. Exe. Files can only be executed on Windows systems and you cannot run exe. files on your iPad.
With that, this thread is closed.
-------------------------------Thread Closed ---------------------------

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts